Alien Arena Official Forums

Full Version: Windows 7 HP 64 bit issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
soooooo I moved my problem over here..... I increased my shared video memory from 64 meg to 512 meg. No difference. In fact ANYTHING I do makes no difference....compatibility mode, turn off themes, dumb down the video settings as much as possible, etc.
But ONE thing is constant...it will be bopping along, and generally around 76 to 80% whilst it is loading models or whatnot it will stop cold and give me a 'VIRTUALALLOC RESERVE FAILED'.
I did some digging...and there are some issues with this function and Windows 64 bit sometimes.
But this is for greater minds than mine.
It does seem to be a windows issue
But.....I guess it could also be that the NEW version doesn't like my Intel HD 2000 grafix.
The previous version never blew up..never
I saw a Z_Malloc error crash on loading ctf-frost on Windows 10, but could not duplicate it. I suspect there is some memory corruption somewhere when loading a map; the VIRTUALALLOC error would indicate that. The code now contains more memory allocation than the older code. There are pending updates that add additional allocation things -- Maybe Max and Irritant can shed light on the problem after those updates.
For what it's worth, the EXACT instance it freezes and bleweez is RIGHT after       'loading maps - completed'
then.........'loading models -precaching' <-- RIGHT THERE  at 80%........ stops every time

update

(stops every time) on whatever the first map of quick self play is.
I was actually able to get into one of Irritant's insta beta's fer a minute....before it blew up
the rest of em did a version of the Virtualalloc Reserve thing.
Neal, I believe the issue is that we now have more player models, and these models are getting loaded into video RAM as VBO's. At one time we disabled VBO(vertex buffer objects) on the compatibility settings, but I think that is no longer the case. Performance would be horrendous without VBO's and the polycounts we now have in the game in players, weapons, maps, etc.

It's not a Windows 7, or 64 bit issue - I've been running that for years without any problems on either of my rigs running those OS's.
Neal, what might work for you is doing this:

Delete all player models except Martian Enforcer.

Set "force Martians" on.

You might get some error messages, but I think it should run.
WOOT!
I did what you suggested...and it helped (loaded to 100%) but still blew up....then I got less greedy with the resolution... ALWAYS ran 1920 by 1080 (1024 by 768 for starters now..then 1366 by 768) and it performed flawlessly :-)
I did notice that (when task managering) when the game had blown up, I was up near 5 gig of ram usage (3 ish normal) I have 8.
But guessing the combination of the models and the extreme resolution (for this onboard intel) (not really though) was causing my grief.
I still have some tweaking to do, but I can see the train coming down the tunnel :-P
fun fact..I was running the old AA in a 64 meg shared grafix environment...never had a blemish...I had then jacked it up to 512..and it made zero difference (new version)...blah
Thanks John
I'll get all the servers converted this weekend
update
1366 by 768 is all she'll do,. I can choose all the different game qualities...but it likes 'compatibility' the best (duh).
and, like always, the bots are near invisible to see without that light bulb screwed into their heads :-P
Stable as a rock.
Yeah, without sharers, things are bland and dark. Heck, that's not a bad resolution for that chip tho!
It's a pity the 3rd party skins don't work with the newer models, you could have changed the default skins for the neon skins, retina burning brightness without the shaders! :-)