Alien Arena Official Forums

Full Version: Upgrade lol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a tiny Antec ITX box with 150 watt PS. This limits me to onboard krappee video. Evel though I have a 240 SSD, I-core3, and 8 gig of mem running win 7 64 bit.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...66Z2KU0579
ordered today, problem solved.
move everything over, throw in one of the zillion atx power supplied I have around here...and start with a cheapy Nvidia 8400 with 1 gig ddr3 (my brand new spare I keep on hand for the business).
it kinda sits right next to my monitor, so it needs to be fairly quiet...but look neat.
WOOT
Problem fixed for $40.
put in a bigger case with a cheapy 300 watt atx.
EVGA 8400GS 1 gig ddr3 with passive cooler (heatsink)
'performance mode' 60 fps solid .....1600 by 900
and zero blow ups...all player models loaded
its even using the stock Microsoft win driver it dl'd...a lil skeered to mess it with genuine NVidia driver (no doubt I'll try) :-P
sure beats 'compatibility' mode 1440 by 900, and every other game load go blewy
yay
Nice to hear! Can you test in your server with 40 tickrate?
If I knew hat theheIi a 'tickrate' was  :-)
Tickrate should have very little, if any performance effect whatsoever.
The tickrate is the number of frames per second the game runs on the server. Until now it was fixed at 10. With Gen3 you can now set the tickrate in your config file:

set sv_tickrate 40

or you can set it with rcon. Just type sv_tickrate 40 in the console.

@Irritant
I know it shouldn't have any impact in the game, but it would be helpful to know how the game performs in general with low end and old video cards.

Do we know which cards are required to run the the game on lowest settings with smooth gameplay? As in for the minimum requirement so the game is playable. And which cards are capable to run smooth on full settings. Those specs should also be in the Steam page.
Tickrate actually impacts the game. When higher, the game runs smoother.
More packages are sent from the server, so it impacts your inet speed to.
ahhhhh
I remember Vic gripin about the server fps thingy....
ok
set and verified all three of my servers as such......
and then I bopped in all and tested
Irritant is correct...I cant really see any difference...but, alas, I am but a noob.

Here's the important stuff....NO 'blowing up' problems now..and that is with a lot of in and out and in game video reconfiguring.
so, I would say for sure that 1 gigabyte of video memory is a minimum. 512 just wont cut it.
TBH, I like the look of 'Compatibility Mode' better (I like that cartoon look) but It doesn't display all of the textures/effects (the floor is red in turbo)
'High Performance' seems to take care of all that. Its till says 59fps, although I'm not sure it didn't feel a bit smoother on compatibility. Still very playable.
It will play and display in 'Quality' mode with no errors, but it is just too much for the card....20 fps and worse....
btw, loaded the latest NVidia drivers from the site for the card first

Epilogue
The game will play on a cheap 1 gigabyte Nvidia 8400 video card with no caveats, except expected performance issues at higher settings
the end