Alien Arena Official Forums
Large ping differences - Printable Version

+- Alien Arena Official Forums (http://red.planetarena.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (http://red.planetarena.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://red.planetarena.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Large ping differences (/showthread.php?tid=2175)

Large ping differences - animal - 11-20-2016

How much impact if any, does this ping difference have in the game. Most people are well under 100ms and one person has well over 500ms
[Image: KddtCPK.jpg]

RE: Large ping differences - Kyxynox - 11-21-2016

Before I moved from my parents' house I had a good connection (talking about DL/UL), but with a "bad" ping sometimes. For a month I had a slow ping of 150ms, but it was constant and after some matches I was used to it and it was bad only in maps like ctf-frostbyte (obviously because other players could shot you in the base).

The worst thing is the unstable ping! Now I have something like 70ms most of the time, but it is so unstable and I get peaks of 600ms sometimes. It's not a bad network setup: now I live with other people (so bad) and I need to share my connection with my house mates. Hopefully, tomorrow we will change our network plan and it should be a strong fiber connection (perhaps FTTH, but here in Italy it will suck even if it is fiber lol).

In tourneys it is almost unplayable if you are not used to a high ping or if you have an unstable ping!

The main difference is that with a high ping the game works good, except when you shoot, but if you know it you shoot in advance (difficult but possible). With an unstable ping the feeling is of a low-framerate game and you miss some frames in the moments ping goes high, so it is not about your accuracy and your skills Sad

RE: Large ping differences - DeathRay - 11-21-2016

A person with high ping has no effect on the other players, other than it may be hard to hit that player if he is skipping around the map with an unstable ping.

RE: Large ping differences - jarhead - 11-21-2016

According to Rigel, when a person with very high ping joins, the other players have more lag. At least on his DO servers.
Maybe Rigel wants to comment if he reads this. I didn't notice this very much btw. But I do notice that people with high ping are harder to hit, even if they are not warping. Because of the anti-lag maybe?

RE: Large ping differences - animal - 11-21-2016

It was on Do Euro, and I noticed this usually happens when people have a high ping.

RE: Large ping differences - DeathRay - 11-21-2016

(11-21-2016, 02:14 PM)jarhead Wrote: According to Rigel, when a person with very high ping joins, the other players have more lag. At least on his DO servers.
Maybe Rigel wants to comment if he reads this. I didn't notice this very much btw. But I do notice that people with high ping are harder to hit, even if they are not warping. Because of the anti-lag maybe?
They would be harder to hit also because of client side prediction factors, not anti-lag. The real issue is the 100ms server rate, which we are aiming to change in the new release(variable from 100 to 10). That will make things much more precise over all.

I could be wrong, but I see a person with a high ping joining making everyone else's ping go up as an impossiblity. There really is just no logical, or code basis for that to be the case.

RE: Large ping differences - jarhead - 11-21-2016

No it was not that everyone else's ping would go up, but just that the gameplay would feel more laggy to them.

RE: Large ping differences - DeathRay - 11-22-2016

(11-21-2016, 06:37 PM)jarhead Wrote: No it was not that everyone else's ping would go up, but just that the gameplay would feel more laggy to them.
Only if they were engaging that player. There is no logic or code that would suggest that the overall game play would be affected. A lot of things people experience are confirmation bias. We can refer to the "Great Anti-Lag Incident" of 2008 for a perfect example Big Grin

RE: Large ping differences - nealcoolio - 11-22-2016

(11-22-2016, 10:31 AM)Irritant Wrote:
(11-21-2016, 06:37 PM)jarhead Wrote: No it was not that everyone else's ping would go up, but just that the gameplay would feel more laggy to them.
Only if they were engaging that player. There is no logic or code that would suggest that the overall game play would be affected. A lot of things people experience are confirmation bias. We can refer to the "Great Anti-Lag Incident" of 2008 for a perfect example Big Grin
Hmmmmmm...
I have heard of that incident :-P
imho, the game plays better than ever....when I run into someone with horrible ping (like Mama's used to be 'borrowed' wifi) they bounce around on my screen like a ping pong ball on meth.
but, it affects no one else or the gameplay :-)
BUT......(and I know this because I have built in Intel ITX grafix) If I get a lot of peeps in certain maps with lots of wide open spaces and players, my gameplay suffers.
That would not be the game, that would be me PC. :-) (can also be iffy bandwith)

RE: Large ping differences - xenos - 11-22-2016

Ahh, the great antilag debacle of '08

A stable ping of anything up to 350ms with practice and after you overcome the time travel and motion sickness is very playable in instagib, I find dm difficult at anything above 250ms.

I've never seen anything that would suggest myself or other high pingers effect the game.