Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fullscreen error AA on Linux mint
09-30-2013, 07:32 PM,
Fullscreen error AA on Linux mint
Hi Folks,
first time poster but have lurked in the past and play occasionally, mainly on win xp but I'm using linux mint 13 & 15 on my desktop & laptop on a daily basis more recently - and for some strange reason I can't get regular full screen to work. On my desktop I have a nvidia 9500gt graphics card/Athlon 7750 Dual-Core 2700mhz,3gb RAM/ using the nvidia 319 driver. AA version 7.53.

So far I've tried pretty much every resolution setting there is, checking/applying fullscreen/ video mode seems to always go back to 1024x768 and if I change it to the monitor display size which appears to be 1440x900, or anything else, it either doesn't go full screen, or goes too big and off to one side, or just off on a tangent somewhere . . . when I quit the program after fiddling around it then screws the desktop up! Icons disappear and the wallpaper appears 'zoomed in' and I have to restart my cinnamon desktop to get back to normal. This is the one thing keeping me from being free from windows so I hope someone here may have a solution for me, I have already searched the forum etc but can't get anything that seems specific to me but it could be my search terminology, still a bit of a n00b as far as AA goes or at least on linux :|

TIA

Dave
09-30-2013, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM by [SiN]bAnfire.)
RE: Fullscreen error AA on Linux mint
i suppose you have set "custom" when you set your screen resolution in the game options and clicked "apply".

you might want to get the latest version of the game: 7.66 combat edition

and of course, welcome to alien arena Smile
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
09-30-2013, 08:18 PM,
(09-30-2013, 08:05 PM)[SiN]bonfire Wrote: i suppose you have set "custom" when you set your screen resolution in the game options and clicked "apply".

Thanks for the welcome Smile

Yes I have been selecting then applying - and also significantly I changed my monitors resolution to a lower setting and although it wasn't as pleasing it seems now when it set AA's res to 1280x1024 I do get full screen but its not saving the config once I quit. I can get used to the slightly less appealing resolution but the changes not saving is gonna be a PITA lol ......... any ideas ?

Also...... I have downloaded the latest 7.66? release but it's a tar.gz file and I have no idea how to install it, still a n00b, I can do .debs but not them lol, is there another way or a PPA or something . . . or if not a really simple explanation for wannabe ex windows users to get their heads around!

Cheers Smile
09-30-2013, 08:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM by Max.)
(09-30-2013, 08:18 PM)daveinuk Wrote:
(09-30-2013, 08:05 PM)[SiN]bonfire Wrote: i suppose you have set "custom" when you set your screen resolution in the game options and clicked "apply".

Thanks for the welcome Smile

Yes I have been selecting then applying - and also significantly I changed my monitors resolution to a lower setting and although it wasn't as pleasing it seems now when it set AA's res to 1280x1024 I do get full screen
AA should be able to go fullscreen with whatever your native desktop resolution is. If your native resolution doesn't appear in AA's built-in list of resolutions, click through that list until it says "custom." Then, type in your desired width and height below it.

Quote:its not saving the config once I quit. I can get used to the slightly less appealing resolution but the changes not saving is gonna be a PITA lol ......... any ideas ?
This is because Ubuntu's .deb package of Alien Arena is horrifyingly broken and doesn't create Alien Arena's config directories properly. (Instead, it symlinks into /usr, meaning AA won't have permission to write its config files.)

Quote:Also...... I have downloaded the latest 7.66? release but it's a tar.gz file and I have no idea how to install it, still a n00b, I can do .debs but not them lol, is there another way or a PPA or something . . . or if not a really simple explanation for wannabe ex windows users to get their heads around!

Cheers Smile
You can try the PlayDeb package of Alien Arena. It's the only up-to-date .deb of AA that actually works properly.
http://www.playdeb.net/software/Alien%20Arena
Linux Mint 13 corresponds to Ubuntu 12.04. Linux Mint 15 corresponds to Ubuntu 13.04.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
10-01-2013, 02:50 PM,
Thank you Max I'll get those later and install to it's rightful distro, glad you pointed the difference out - One more question, can I download the maps and install them as opposed to doing it in-game and having to wait? Space is no issue, got a couple of tb's to spare : )
10-01-2013, 02:58 PM,
(10-01-2013, 02:50 PM)daveinuk Wrote: Thank you Max I'll get those later and install to it's rightful distro, glad you pointed the difference out - One more question, can I download the maps and install them as opposed to doing it in-game and having to wait? Space is no issue, got a couple of tb's to spare : )
There are map packs available, see http://red.planetarena.org/forum/showthr...44#pid6544
Also you can find many maps here http://3rdpartyalien.3r.funpic.de/index.html
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
10-01-2013, 03:13 PM,
Just to add to Animal's links, you extract the map packs to ~/.config/alien-arena. (For future people reading this thread, if you're not using a .deb package, use ~/.codered instead-- the Debian maintainers patch it to use ~/.config/alien-arena instead of the default.)
<maxtothemax> and chips
10-01-2013, 06:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM by daveinuk.)
I'm struggling? Installed the getdeb package, I go to the page, click on install this now which opens up another tab and I get an 'launch application' prompt

I've browsed to getdeb and playdeb and tried opening but nothing so what am i doing wrong?

This is driving me daft . . . . logged into my mint 15 install and having changed monitor resolutions as I did previously above I get all sorts of strange goings on, mouse pointer freezes and locks in the extreme top right corner or appears to travel across the extreme top edge of the screen and then disappears lol. . . . can't believe this is the one thing keeping me booting into windows ......... any suggestions ?
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM,
(10-01-2013, 06:42 PM)daveinuk Wrote: I'm struggling? Installed the getdeb package, I go to the page, click on install this now which opens up another tab and I get an 'launch application' prompt

I've browsed to getdeb and playdeb and tried opening but nothing so what am i doing wrong?
I'm sorry, I'm having trouble picturing what's happening based on your descriptions. Did you install the package that adds the playdeb repositories (from this page?) In that case, you should be able to reinstall Alien Arena from the package manager and it will pick the PlayDeb version. Or, did you install the package from this page directly? In that case, the proper AA version should already be installed on your system.
<maxtothemax> and chips