Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ScareCrow Fields
12-08-2013, 01:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2014, 11:24 AM by Chang.)
ScareCrow Fields
Hi people what's up?
After a lot of time making it and some performance and building problems with it, here is my first map.

Scarecrow fiels is a small farm that was abandoned by their previous owners recently. Victim of abandonment and looting, this quiet and lonely territory has been conditioned and adapted to host bloody and murderous confrontations between Aliens, Humans and Machines.

Scarecrow fields have all game modes (DM, CTF, AOA, DB, TCA, TCA-AOA, CP), and it have custom textures, sounds, skyboxes... For that, the *.zip file its more than 30Mb. The performance of this map is like other maps like "Impact", or Eizo CTF.

Here are some images:

[Image: 85qs9tvi6l5lf7m5g.jpg]
[Image: qbavez3fafvm9b15g.jpg]
[Image: e8jdb4s6e88xxzy5g.jpg]
[Image: yzw5b36xy2lpaxr5g.jpg]

Allright now i have been updated it:
the 1.1 version have these changes:
  • Fixed limits of the map: Now the shots can go through.
  • Added an option to set the height of the tree branches.
  • Modified the script files *.rscript: Little changes and changed the path of the files in the gfx folder.
  • Modified the script files * fog: Added the line to turn off the sun on maps that do not need (only works with the latest versions of Alien Arena).
  • Changed the hierarchy of the "gfx" folder.
You can download the last version here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bnhnqj...ow_1.1.zip

If someone have problems with the height of the tree branches that are to low, you can download and install this path: The patch consists of five files *.rscipt slightly modified that configure map files *.bsp. The branches of the trees appear high. there is no change in these *.bsp files, so you can play online with no problem.
To install it, you only have to unzip the *. Zip and copy or move the "Arena" folders and "docs" in the root folder of Alien Arena replacing existing folders.

You can download the Path here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/94b5y1...ow_1.1.zip

Enjoy it Smile
12-08-2013, 02:40 PM,
RE: ScareCrow Fields
wow, that is a nice concept and a good looking map!

a few pointers though:

the trees leaves are missplaced:

[Image: AlienArena_369_zps8872815e.jpg]

the movement of the leaves in the trees is animated.
if you look in dm-impact, you can see how it can be done from the game itself.
looks a lot smoother.

second, i believe there are better looking bushes than these:

[Image: AlienArena_371_zpsbe8cba1c.jpg]

forgive me if i am rude, but those do not look good at all.
another thing i noticed, is that you can run staight through them, where they should
be an obstacle, imho.

from my nooby point of view, i think this is a really cool map that has great potential.

oh, one last thing, the zip-pack, doesnt unzip to the right places, so i had to move all the files by hand.
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
12-08-2013, 02:48 PM,
I really didn't get a chance to see the maps. 2 things, fix your .zip file removing the scarecrow directory, so that the file can be extracted in the .codered folder, and there seems to be some missing textures. Can you tell me their name?
[Image: bf0u.jpg]
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
12-08-2013, 03:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013, 06:01 PM by Freaky.)
nice looking map and a very interesting concept.
i really like the style of it.
i like that each map has a own visuality, so other weather effects etc.

i disagree on your statement about the performance. the performance of your map is very bad, but you can't really do anything to improve it. it's because of the wide open layout, the weather effects, the vegetation, the shaders etc... you dont have a wpoly count of almost 9000 in impact or eizo. my fps are on some versions under 20, with 5 players they might drop to 15 what isn't smooth.

some suggestion on the map:
the invisible/transparent brush over the wall disturbs me a bit. you should use a playerclip instead. so you can shoot through it but cant reach the other side.
[Image: 8LQaCbDsuIAx.gif]

as animal mentioned you should fix the file hirarchy in your .zip file.

a other suggestion is that you should move all files in the gfx directory in a subdirectory called chang (and change it in the shader ofc) - just in case irritant addes a other kind of grass once and have to rename it because the content of a 3rdparty map would break it.

and i would disable the sun in the versions with snow and rain. you do it by adding 8th line with the content "1" in the .fog files

beside this you broke with that map my unofficial record: the 3rd party map with the largest content (depending on the filesize) Wink although you have a lot of large .bsp files in it...

@animal, there are no missing textures, you just have to put them into the correct place.

to sum up: Nice job, particualy the interesting sound effects Smile
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
12-08-2013, 03:58 PM,
Very nice Mr. Chang! It's really different to the other maps of aa. It's a wide open area world.
If we have a huge crowd on this map for a tourney then it will be a massacre for sure. For example
the map containmentdome is one of these maps with a wide open area space and it's a bit kind of frustation to playing on it.
Maybe you could bring some walls or hills into your map to split some areas. This makes the gameplay more exciting and faster.

Nice idea with the weather for different game modes and nice sound effects. Keep up!
12-08-2013, 08:53 PM,
Nice work Mr Chang! I have uploaded the map as is to http://www.aa3rdparty.org/uploads/map_scarecrow.zip.

I don't have the password for the upload section on the web site, but if you ask Freaky I'm sure he'll give it to you. Big Grin
12-09-2013, 02:18 PM,
Thanks for you comments. It looks that i will build a new version.

Well, that about the trees leaves are missplaced, its a strange problem that i had in my firsts map test, (I came out too high), for that i used some transparent brushes with blanks.tga textures near from the trees. Maybe is for different versions of AA. I will fix that problem using different blank.tga textures ("textures/blanks/blank2.tga" for to have down leaves in the trees, and "textures/blanks/blank3.tga" for to have up leaves.)

The brushes (plants) wont change, my idea was that you can use them to hiding from you enemies (human enemies, not bots). (I liked that idea about to dont know who are shooting you) their appearance is a little rough, because they are optimized for better performance. If i change that, Radiant can not build the map. (I also would have liked to put more trees too)...

As Frealy said, im going to change the limits over the walls too (I didn't know ho to do it, for that i though in transparent walls) and the one way that i know for improve the performance is: or less textures resolution (more
fuzzy and ugly textures) or disable normal maps and sun...

I will change the hirarchy *.zip file, and some scripts files too.
When I have the latest version, i will upload it here.
See you Smile
12-09-2013, 05:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 06:34 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Nice map Chang! I'll edit this post in a sec when the download for the map finishes and I give it a whirl.
This seems to be the first farm map Alien Arena has had in a looong time (except maybe ribeye, but I can never remember when that came out)

EDIT: Will try in a sec, just wanted to suggest you re-organize the zip file. Just take all of the files inside "scarecrow" and move them into the zip folder itself.

EDIT2: Just took it for a spin, and I love it!
Pros: An old-school feel to it that reminds me of the maps Steakums and Cropcircles somewhat. Decent Flow, nice scenery.
Cons: Low FPS on the teamgame modes

Overall it's a great map! And I wouldn't worry too much about the low fps situation, I dont play much teamgame. I like DM and AOA Smile

Suggestions:
You seem to have a tree problem. Sorry, but I don't know anything about trees, other than they use shaders Sad
Great to have a new mapper! I hope you make more! Smile
Here's my screenie. Outhouse, lol Smile
[Image: qsba.jpg]
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
12-10-2013, 08:32 AM,
Looks very cool. Can't wait to try it when I get home from work (I should really stop and start to write that patient history instead lol)... anyway looks awesome, and it's cool that you have made it for Cattleprod too, we had only very few CP maps so far Smile
12-11-2013, 06:57 PM,
Seems to be a very good map Chang! thank you for it.

I like that the little cornfield (if I saw it right) is not an obstacle, as it would disrupt a bit that classical movies feel when you run trough it. (Unless there was more space between then).
[Image: ctchessplayer1.png]