Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ScareCrow Fields
12-12-2013, 08:57 PM,
RE: ScareCrow Fields
I really like the map, but the performance needs some improvement, I was playing in single-player mode and without bots and sometimes the fps dropped to 13. Usually it's at least above 50.
12-15-2013, 12:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 12:04 PM by Chang.)
Allright now i have updated it:
the 1.1 version have these changes:
  • Fixed limits of the map: Now the shots can go through.
  • Added an option to set the height of the tree branches.
  • Modified the script files *.rscript: Little changes and changed the path of the files in the gfx folder.
  • Modified the script files * fog: Added the line to turn off the sun on maps that do not need (only works with the latest versions of Alien Arena).
  • Changed the hierarchy of the "gfx" folder.
You can download the lastest version in the first post:
http://red.planetarena.org/forum/showthr...p?tid=1187

If someone have problems with the height of the tree branches that are to low, you can download and install this path: The patch consists of five files *.rscipt slightly modified that configure map files *.bsp. The branches of the trees appear high. there is no change in these *.bsp files, so you can play online with no problem. To install it, you only have to unzip the *. Zip and copy or move the "Arena" folders and "docs" in the root folder of Alien Arena replacing existing folders.

You can download the Path in the first post:
http://red.planetarena.org/forum/showthr...p?tid=1187
(You can read the Readme file from the map to have more info...)

I edited the first post too, so nobody can download the old version.

Thanks all for your comments and recommendations
Enjoy it Smile
01-06-2014, 07:54 AM,
Please note that I have merged and deleted the archives in my upload directory, the map can now be found here.

03-31-2014, 04:49 PM,
I somehow let things slide and did not add this map to my servers. I have corrected that now, and I apologize for taking so long Sad

I really like this map, I just took a run over it in CTF single player to see what it looks like. Had fun looking at all the terrain and textures, you did a really good job with it.

The big problem is that being wide open as it is, and being so large, each frame has to render so much that the FPS is dreadfully low. That's too bad, because this would be a lot of fun.

It looks more like a military game map than a fast paced DM game map like Alien Arena. But in a way I enjoy that about it. The sound was great, the corn fields are a blast. I enjoyed going through that house seeing all the details - I'd say this could be a favorite and I'm sure the game flow would be exciting. Its just that FPS problem, that will pretty much nullify what you can do. All the sniper locations and sneak up value will also be moot because in AA you run like mad and think about where you've been later.

Fantastic effort - I find myself saying "if only" a lot looking at this map. The mapper's artistry is unquestionable - good idea, good execution, just taxes Alien Arena's limits heavily and much of the map can't be appreciated in a fast, frantic paced game. Chang still gets bonus points in this one Smile
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
04-02-2014, 05:21 AM,
Just played about 2 hours of duel on dm-scarecrow with bleep. I gotta say that was surprisingly fun!! Idea Big Grin

We turned g_dm_lights and anticamp off. I also had the timelimit set for 50 minutes! And, we went from insta to insta_rockets. Played 2 games like that Smile

We ended up making a rule that the guy in the house could use either gun but the guy outside could only use the rockets. Wow... what a blast that was... didn't expect that. Smile

Note: The FPS on the DM version was 100x better - have no real clue why.
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
04-02-2014, 10:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014, 10:40 AM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Probably cause the CTF version has a fog file with rain, not to mention it's twice as big and has a lot of players when on DO Euro.
Thx for uploading to DO servers Smile
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
04-02-2014, 06:40 PM,
I tried it yesterday on DO euro, but some textures were missing, I think mainly all fields were in red/black. Also my fps dropped to about 15. It was kinda unplayable. Sly had no problems though, better videocard (I have a Radeon HD6850, Sly has a GTX660).
04-05-2014, 02:06 PM,
(04-02-2014, 06:40 PM)jarhead Wrote: I tried it yesterday on DO euro, but some textures were missing, I think mainly all fields were in red/black. [...]
Yes some textures were missing. I've uploaded them to martianbackup so you should download them next time - sorry for missing it Cool
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
04-05-2014, 11:16 PM,
Thanks freaky!
04-07-2014, 11:25 AM,
Yeah but Rigel has to update his repo also. He uses his servers as the sv_sownloadurl.
Btw, which textures are they?
(04-05-2014, 02:06 PM)Freaky Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 06:40 PM)jarhead Wrote: I tried it yesterday on DO euro, but some textures were missing, I think mainly all fields were in red/black. [...]
Yes some textures were missing. I've uploaded them to martianbackup so you should download them next time - sorry for missing it Cool
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Map Packs by Xenos
http://hal.nanoid.net/aa3rdparty
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.