Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Generation 3
01-04-2014, 05:07 AM,
Generation 3
From 2004-2007

[Image: 930661_20051031_screen012.jpg]

Then in 2008, Generation 2 was introduced...

[Image: 955040_20081114_screen013.jpg]

Over the past six years, that Martian evolved a little...

[Image: warrior1.jpg]

But, nothing lasts forever...with the speed of the mesh rendering, it was time to update, once again, a completely new model, a new look, and furthering the artistic direction that begun in 2008 into a darker, more macabre and sinister theme...

Welcome Generation 3!

[Image: gen3martians.jpg]
01-04-2014, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014, 05:38 AM by animal.)
RE: Generation 3
Nice work Irr!
That is one ugly badass lol

Edit
Is the new model in SVN?
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
01-04-2014, 07:29 AM,
Wow, that's impressive! Well done developers. We could call the game a FAST FPHS (First-Person-Horror-Shooter).
01-04-2014, 08:34 AM,
What a great new model!
It looks scary, evil, spooky...
Great work Irritant Smile

im curious about its polycount because it looks much more detailed as the latest 2nd generation :S
Is this generation going to replace the 2nd one? Or will both remain stock models?
* Freaky is asking to much :o

@animal, only the .blend file of it is in SVN at the moment, you can view it with a editor.
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
01-04-2014, 08:48 AM,
I'm sorry, but I think I prefer the previous martian.
The new one looks a bit more like a zombie than a martian.
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM,
The polycount has increased from 2600 to 4700. With the changes in the renderer to now use VBO and all animation taking place in the GPU like modern AAA game engines, it was time to bring us out of the stone age. 4700 is actually still quite low, when you consider that 2007's UT3 player models were in the 6000-10000 range. Every player model is getting an update, some extensive, others not as much(such as the Slashbot which may not get much at all other than some smoothing in some areas). The style will be in this vein - gritty, complex, frightening. Some weapon models may see some updates too, or complete redesigns in some cases. Of course some may not like the changes, or changes period, but we have to keep moving forward to keep the game modern. Performance shouldn't be affected much, if at all. My GPU is several years old, and was only 150 dollars to begin with, and the performance drop was barely noticeable with 15 of them on the screen at once(210 fps vs 190 fps), and this with a lowly 2.8 ghz dual CPU Smile

These are replacements for the current models, the old models will no longer be stock. This also means that any 3rd party skins will no longer work. Sorry about that, but that's life, and I'm sure somebody will package up all of the generation 2 characters with the 3rd party skins, etc after this change is made. It's not in SVN yet, not sure when I'll put him in. I'd like to have both Martians completed before putting them in, but maybe I'll just copy the warrior over to the enforcer temporarily. The Martian enforcer will look very similar, with the only changes really being the tubes and lights on the back, and some skin changes in the front plates. That would only take me a day or two to finish, but at the moment I am starting on the Commander, which also is getting a pretty extensive overhaul. Would like to have a human gen3 model completed to compliment the Martian to use for some promotional stuff.

There will be more changes overall to the game, with terrain models, more meshes - less brushes, etc. I'm not planning new levels, these will all be updates to existing ones, but for the most part layouts will remain completely intact unless it's a flaw. Some levels might find themselves relegated to the archives, but we'll see about that. The levels could be a long process as it was back in 2008 to update them. Most likely AA will see a major release in the Spring, with the new artwork, that will coincide with the release of AA Tactical's full demo.
01-05-2014, 12:25 AM,
This is truly badass Irritant, I will package up the older models and include them on the 3rd party site.

01-06-2014, 02:10 PM,
Good news Irritant. I'm curious about the other updates Smile

That are a lot of polys. I remembered as i created some meshes for the eizo map I tried to save as much polys as possible. I didn't want to have a model with over 500 polys because of performance reasons lol

(01-04-2014, 01:24 PM)Irritant Wrote: There will be more changes overall to the game, with terrain models, more meshes - less brushes, etc.
Hope you finish the terrain models soon, I would like to use them Smile
I greet using more meshes instead of brushes, but the models should be better integrated then. It's a pain at the moment (at least for me).
I mean that you are able to make them solid (maybe with a spawnflag) so that you can't shoot or walk through it. I think its better as clipping them out with invisible brushes...
A other useful feature is that you can scale up the models. So setting "key: scale value: 2,0" to scale it up twice. We can adjust the meshes to the map then and not the map to the meshes which makes non sense. I mean if you want to use a stock pipemodel, you have to "build the map around it" in order to make it fit.
And maybe being able to set the texture/skin path in entitie editor of the map editor like "key: skinpath value: maps/meshes/example_blood1.jpg. We can have a model with multiple skins then. So we could add a "leaking" effect on the toxicbarrell mesh, or change its logo to biohazard, or add bloodsplatters to a other mesh...
Additional it might be good to use other model formats, that radiant supports too. Learning modeling with blender was a pain for me because all tutorials were written for the later versions (2.6x). But they dont have a md2 support anymore. So I exported them as a other format and converted it with other programs in order to have a .md2 format. Of course it works but its rather hacky than useful for me (crying on high level lol). Iqm would be a solution but radiant dont supports it (i could be wrong), what is bad because you should be able to see the mesh in the editor...
Would be great if you realize something of it then!!! Smile
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
01-06-2014, 03:27 PM,
Ideally, we add Iqm viewing to AA Radiant and start using that format more, as it looks better, especially in animated cases. I'd rather not add other model formats, in fact pretty strongly against it. In an ideal world, we'd support only using Iqm for static meshes and players and other objects aside from generated terrain models. Lot of work to do that though, and of course many old maps would lose compatibility, so .md2 will need to be supported.

It might be possible to add collision detection to static meshes the same way we have with terrain models, but that might also be an expensive net/server issue.

In most cases, and in most games, the player characters have much more polys than the static meshes littering the maps. One issue is memory - a player model gets loaded into memory, and there might be five or six "copies" running around, all using the same VBO. With the static meshes, you might have 20 different ones or more loaded into memory at map load time. Generally you want to be conservative with static mesh polycounts, but much like brushwork, the best thing to do is just test the performance on your system and compare it to stock maps. The biggest problem most map designers have that I have seen over the years is making maps that are far too open and scaled too large. People tend to want to make HUGE maps, with little variation in vertical play, and wide open areas. I see this in many game communities.
01-06-2014, 07:50 PM,
I believe even static meshes only get loaded once per mesh, no matter how many are placed. However, the same static mesh might need to get rendered 20 times per frame if a lot of them are placed, so the polycounts can easily add up to huge numbers and performance will suffer accordingly.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip