Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CTF-Frostbyte
03-09-2014, 06:37 AM,
CTF-Frostbyte
This is a great map with good game play, with few or a lot of players.
But it has one weak point that ruins it, the transporter spawning point when exiting the dome.
Is it possible for the transporter spawning points to be random?
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
03-09-2014, 06:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014, 07:00 AM by {DO}Rigel.)
RE: CTF-Frostbyte
Not without remaking the map. The transporters aren't the only problem with that map. In a good remake I'd like to see Max's new terrain, a higher sky box, and instead of a transporter, have at least 2 ways into the bases: maybe stairs and a straight fall in with jumpad out?

In CTF there should be an obvious way into the base that can support several players at once, and another less obvious and slightly more difficult way in. A third way in can be good, but if it makes it too easy, then that can be a problem too. Examples of maps that do multiple access well (imo) include: ctf-europa2k8-remix, ctf-atlantis, ctf-cryogenic. These maps are fast, and exciting for their options.

ctf-frostbyte was depreciated by the development team for performance, aesthetic, and other issues. With the enormous efficiency improvements that have been made over the last year, maps like ctf-frostbyte, ctf-terminal, ctf-europa, can get by with fair performance. I know it violates good map making heuristics, but open layout CTF maps tend to be a LOT of fun. I wouldn't mind seeing a frostbyte update, but I'm all but certain it would have to be a 3rd party effort.

Edit:
I take it back, you might be able to do something to the current ctf-frostbyte's transporters using an *.entdef file; possibly add another exit site or two? Not sure on that one though.
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
05-07-2014, 12:37 PM,
(03-09-2014, 06:57 AM){DO}Rigel Wrote: Edit:
I take it back, you might be able to do something to the current ctf-frostbyte's transporters using an *.entdef file; possibly add another exit site or two? Not sure on that one though.
Yeah, you could definitely do that.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
05-07-2014, 01:03 PM,
Frostbyte is definitely a candidate for a remake using the new terrain rendering.

At some point I'm going to be making a list of maps that will be candidates for deprecation, as well as those that will be candidates for updating. A select few are good as is, but the standards are going to be increased considerably. There are a lot of maps that are really good ideas, and with some love and evolution will fit in well with the revamped Generation 3 game.
05-07-2014, 03:58 PM,
(05-07-2014, 01:03 PM)Irritant Wrote: Frostbyte is definitely a candidate for a remake using the new terrain rendering.

At some point I'm going to be making a list of maps that will be candidates for deprecation, as well as those that will be candidates for updating. A select few are good as is, but the standards are going to be increased considerably. There are a lot of maps that are really good ideas, and with some love and evolution will fit in well with the revamped Generation 3 game.
A thing to consider is (for me) to put some other respawn points in ctf-ahtcity (sorry for the little off topic), because there is only a point of respawn for each team.
Great idea! Generation 3 is awesome and some maps need a little refresh. Smile Thank you for your hard work Irr. Smile
05-08-2014, 03:21 AM,
(05-07-2014, 01:03 PM)Irritant Wrote: Frostbyte is definitely a candidate for a remake using the new terrain rendering.

Is that list going to be posted so you can get input from players?
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.