Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mac_OSX
05-25-2014, 06:37 AM,
Mac_OSX
i know some people have been working on porting aa to osx.

i been digging through the old forums and here, but i can't find anything
that shows a solution that is somewhat userfriendly.

is there any?

or does anyone know and can explain in noob language, how and what to do, to make aa work
on mac?
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
05-25-2014, 11:54 AM,
RE: Mac_OSX
The only way I know of is using MacPorts.

https://www.macports.org/
Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
05-28-2014, 04:15 AM,
There are several ways to use Alienarena on a Mac. The easiest way is to use Crossover,
a software (non free) from CodeWeavers. Crossover is like Wine for Linux, a compatibility layer,
that duplicates functions of Windows. Another way is to use Parallels Desktop for Mac, its a software
(also non free) providing hardware virtualization for Macintosh computers with Intel processors.
The Performance of Crossover is a bit better than Parallels.

My brother use Crossover on his iMac ,it works well with Alienarena.
05-28-2014, 01:37 PM,
Great tip!!!
And a sticky for future referense
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
07-20-2014, 08:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014, 08:29 PM by ToastRawr.)
I got a macbook pro yesterday and I managed to get Alien arena to run through an application called 'wine.' Crossover didn't work for me however. Alien Arena works great on OSX Mavericks so far using wine but I always get an error when changing video settings to high quality mode saying crx has crashed. And I can't manage to get a good screen size to fill up the whole entire screen yet. I'll have to mess with it some more. So far though,it was really easy to set up and it's running great!
btw wine is fully free!

-if anyone needs help i'll be glad to make a tutorial
07-21-2014, 01:31 AM,
(07-20-2014, 08:25 PM)ToastRawr Wrote: I got a macbook pro yesterday and I managed to get Alien arena to run through an application called 'wine.' Crossover didn't work for me however. Alien Arena works great on OSX Mavericks so far using wine but I always get an error when changing video settings to high quality mode saying crx has crashed. And I can't manage to get a good screen size to fill up the whole entire screen yet. I'll have to mess with it some more. So far though,it was really easy to set up and it's running great!
btw wine is fully free!

-if anyone needs help i'll be glad to make a tutorial
awesome!
just make the tutorial. not only our community is searching for info like this.
all the people outside are too and it is most often those who need this kind of help Wink
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
07-25-2014, 08:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM by ToastRawr.)

Took a while because I had work lol.

Just some side notes:
1) You won't be able to choose the preset video configurations in game. For example if you choose high compatibility the menu will have pink and black lines everywhere and will be very glitchy. Furthermore, High Quality causes the game to crash all together. You will have to manually change the texture quality. (sliding the bar in the in game menu, or the .cfg)
2) Also I forgot to mention, make sure Fullscreen is checked inside Alien Arena!
3) Many Macs run Retina and choosing any preset resolution in the game itself will turn the whole display to a mess, configure the .CFG to the res mentioned and don't even try fiddling with the other resolutions except 900x1440. It took me a while to find a decent resolution that actually shows the whole game full screen.
4) Is anyone experiencing a blurry menu like the one at the end of my video? This also happens on my windows laptop. Initially I thought it was my windows laptop but now on my mac i'm beginning to think this is because of the Combat Edition version. It was fine before CE, anyone having graphics issues with the menu?

Pros
_____
Really easy to use and set up.
Performance is great.

Cons
_____
Menu graphics is silly all together. Text is blurry too.
Can't use preset graphics options.
Some people may not like that you have to right click on CRX to maximize Alien Arena because it starts minimized. (see 5:20 in the video)
Sometimes there are some really weird pink squares that pop up but it's rare and goes away really quick, happens with my windows laptop too.

GG
07-26-2014, 06:51 PM,
great work toast!
Ban? Who Can I Ban???