Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some essential configs to advance beyond noob status
07-19-2012, 04:52 PM,
Some essential configs to advance beyond noob status
Long time FPS fan here, have been playing AA for about a year. I've noticed a lack of AA specific configs out there findable via Google and the like, so I though I'd post what I've been able to glean from the net.

All these go in a file called autoexec.cfg which sits next to your config.cfg file (which is edited by alienarena itself when you enter the configuration menus, don't make changes to config.cfg!)

Some useful tricks from the quake2 days that work more or less in aa: (yes, I have a six button mouse Cool)

Finally, I have an alias for gun jumping that has been fine tuned to AA from the quake2 days (I'm unsure about peoples' feelings on this, since I wasn't able to find any like this just out there for anybody to search, so if it's somehow taboo to put this here, mods please let me know.
Code:
// Zoom
alias +zoomin "fov 80; fov 60; fov 40; fov 30; sensitivity 4"
alias -zoomin "fov 60; fov 80; fov 100; sensitivity 6"
bind MOUSE6 +zoomin

// Favorite weapon, melee weapons
alias weapfavemelee "use Blaster; use Disruptor; use Pulse Rifle; use Flame Thrower"
bind e weapfavemelee

// Favorite weapon, ranged weapons
alias weapfaverange "use Alien Smartgun; use Alien Disruptor; use Rocket Launcher; use Alien Vaporizer"
bind r weapfaverange

// Crouch Toggle
alias crtog crtog1
alias crtog1 "+movedown; alias crtog crtog2"
alias crtog2 "-movedown; alias crtog crtog1"
bind SHIFT crtog

// Now some AA specific configs
// Quick Probe (like the bots do to you)
alias +melee "use Violator; +attack"
alias -melee "weaplast; -attack"
bind MOUSE3 +melee

// AoA necessities in case you reassign x by accident or on purpose
bind x "drop strafer; drop bomber; drop hover"

// Gun jump
alias long_wait "wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait"
alias +rjump "cl_pitchspeed 1000; impulse 7; +lookdown;  long_wait; long_wait; long_wait; +moveup; wait; wait; wait; +attack; long_wait"
alias -rjump "-lookdown; -moveup; -attack; cl_pitchspeed 100; centerview"
bind MOUSE7 +rjump
07-19-2012, 06:21 PM,
RE: Some essential configs to advance beyond noob status
Thanks Emmerdeur! I know that alias gunjumping is highly frowned upon by some regs. (I myself think it's extremely lazy.) Would welcome comments from Bonfire and Rigel. X
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
07-19-2012, 06:44 PM,
Good to know Xulb, there has been some discussion in our circle about whether the regs we see are using aliases or not. No names, but there are some who we can tell are looking down manually (there's a certain artistic flair), but there are others who just don't seem to be natural. For my own, I always would do it manually in quake1, 2, 3, etc. because the aliases didn't add anything I couldn't do on my own. In AA, I find that if I set my mouse sensitivity fast enough to flick all the way down (and for disruptor jumps, its vital you get all the way down), then I can't hit anything when aiming. (not that my accuracy is that great to begin with).
(07-19-2012, 06:21 PM)Xulb Wrote: Thanks Emmerdeur! I know that alias gunjumping is highly frowned upon by some regs. (I myself think it's extremely lazy.) Would welcome comments from Bonfire and Rigel. X
07-19-2012, 07:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM by Freaky.)
Some of my cents:

This looks (a bit) like the alias pack which were in the old forum tbh

About the Alias for Zoom, you wont be able to use it in team-based games.

This keybind is already in the default config
Quote:// AoA necessities in case you reassign x by accident or on purpose

bind x "drop strafer; drop bomber; drop hover"

You should add this alias, because its very usefull. while pressing it the demo will playing faster
Code:
alias +fastdemo "timedemo 1"
bind f "+fastdemo"
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
07-19-2012, 07:27 PM,
Thanks Freaky,

You're right of course. The aliases are largely borrowed from the old forum, but some of those links have rotted since and I was hard pressed to find some of those configs when playing with my own recently.

True about the zoom (actually, it's a pretty interesting way to accidentally disengage yourself from a team in mid game, depending on the server.), but some of the team game servers don't lock FOV, just the ones that have gotten tired of zoom snipers, I'd guess.

I included the bind x drop... alias because I had changed x to something else, and there was no way in the menu to get it back to abandon ship. Googling didn't help outside of telling me I should hit 'x', so I started hunting in the source code, then finally found the default.cfg and the drop * line.

I like the demo FF alias, maybe a future thread could cover all about demos for beginners. I want to start recording games and studying the video reel like an athlete looking for places to improve :-)
07-20-2012, 06:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 06:42 AM by [SiN]bAnfire.)
dunno why i am named for opinions about aliases.
i dont aprove of them, if they give u benefits ingame.
everyone knows that, no need to repeat.

i use an alias to record demos, thats all.
u wanna jump, learn how too.
however, the game allows the use of aliases, so all who are too lazy/impatient to learn
new skills, feel free.

i know some have used (or use) aliases to practice new skills, but they dont (or hardly ever) use them in
public games. all fine and imho the only reason to have them.

about fov´s, i believe those shouldnt be locked serverside.
all prefer a different fov.
i myself play best (at least i like to think so, lol) when playing with my own settings.

last but not least, watching demos helps improve your game somewhat.
playing the 'big dogs' really improves your game.
so does playing many different modes.
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
07-20-2012, 11:56 AM,
I kinda have to agree with bonfire about aliases that change your game performance. I do everything with my fingers and the keyboard. It has taken me time to learn to do these things. I feel a sense of achievement when I master difficult techniques. When I see people who clearly "programmed" their skill I get a little disappointed - its hard not to.

Obviously aliases are allowed, and I don't want to knock it. I learned to gun jump by using an alias for while, that made it easier for me to coordinate it naturally for some reason. I might be in favor of disallowing movements in aliases, but I don't think that will ever happen. Beyond aliases there are all sorts of macros and other things you can program with 3rd party software (like modern mouse driver software). So even if you said movements in aliases weren't allowed, you can do the same thing elsewhere and there is no way to stop that.

So... how about a little respect for who you're playing with. If you're in a public game and everyone is using aliases, cool... run 'em! But if you're in a clan match or you're in a game with people who take pride in being able to do it naturally, a modicum of common sense is in order.

Just my opinion...
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
07-21-2012, 11:28 AM,
If aliases are allowed in the game everybody is free to use them. I personally don't use them (as some other tricks on some maps) because it will not bring me any satisfaction knowing that my achievements in the game (if any) are not due to my own skills but on things the other players don't know and use. And one interesting fact: if you practice long enough AA even if the other players are using this kind of "external help" this doesn't actually give them advantage over you. This is why my opinion about the aliases is neutral.
[Image: clantag_Lance.png]

Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
updated by Uncle Caz