Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux SVN
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM,
Linux SVN
The SVN checkout and update instructions in the Wiki are correct, but the build and the install instructions are outdated. See the README in the top directory for build and install information.

Run svn help for basic command line info for Subversion. For detailed info, go to:
http://subversion.apache.org/ (not tigris.org).

It is a good idea to browse the repository to see what has changed before doing an update:
http://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/trunk/

On updates, for the standard install, if only the program code has changed, it is quicker to do:
[tt]
make
sudo make install-exec
[/tt]

If you are not sure though the safest is:
[tt]
sudo make uninstall
make clean
./configure
make
sudo make install
[/tt]

The alternate install is different. See the README.
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 12:55 AM by Blindman.)
RE: Linux SVN
Well, as I know this great people of the AA community is always busy trying to help us, improve the game and or fixing bugs, I've have decided just to give a little help for newbies such as myself in configuring the SVN for you Alien Areana under Linux Ubuntu (12.10 in my case!).

He it goes:

1. What Application am I using? RabbitVCS wich you can find here including the installation steps. Make sure you install the proper extension in my case was the “rabbitvcs-nautilus3” (# sudo apt-get install rabbitvcs-nautilus3 for 12.10)

2. reboot the computer #sudo reboot ;

3. Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and create a new folder # mkdir AA where “AA” is the name of the folder you are creating you could name “AlienArena” it's up to you. You can create it using Nautilus as well.

4. Go to your Nautilus now... and right click on the folder you have just created and hover the mouse over Rabbitvcs SVN >> click on Checkout...;

[Image: scrmouse.png]

5. add the following URL: svn://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/trunk/

[Image: scr1u.png]

6. click “OK” now you should have a window with the files being copied across. Wait until the transfer is done to procedure to the next step;

7. Once it's finished press Ctrl + Alt + t to have launch your terminal change to the folder you just have sync with svn (# cd AA where “AA” is the name of the folder) and follow Irritant steps above!!! that should be fine.

Uncle Caz!
@mods please feel free to amend anything needed in this post... just giving my 5c contribution!
[Image: ctcazazo1cl.png]
Art thanks to Paul former [OS] Drastic, yeah I know... really Cool!! Pro GIMP Bro!

02-13-2013, 11:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM by Max.)
I didn't know about that. Very good alternate method.

Is there a special reason why the reboot is needed in this case? You usually don't have to do that on Linux.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
02-13-2013, 11:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM by cazazo.)
not really... here in my system i did not show the Rabbit on the right click menu! i had to reboot... so just to be on the safe side I included!
[Image: ctcazazo1cl.png]
Art thanks to Paul former [OS] Drastic, yeah I know... really Cool!! Pro GIMP Bro!

02-13-2013, 01:04 PM,
I did not knew that method too, this is really much more easy for people who are not familiar with the terminal, (and tbh in any case since, at least I, always find a way to mess up the local svn copy hehe).

About the reboot, I think that restart the session would be enough. (log out and log in again)
03-06-2013, 12:53 AM,
My word for messing up the svn copy is "hacking"! Big Grin
X
(02-13-2013, 01:04 PM)chessplayer Wrote: I did not knew that method too, this is really much more easy for people who are not familiar with the terminal, (and tbh in any case since, at least I, always find a way to mess up the local svn copy hehe).

About the reboot, I think that restart the session would be enough. (log out and log in again)
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
03-06-2013, 01:37 AM,
Nonsense, some degree of customization is fine.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
03-06-2013, 07:36 AM,
nautilus -q should also do the trick, saves a reboot. I have used rabbit for svn in the past, I think you just can't beat the cli for svn.
02-24-2015, 05:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2015, 05:24 PM by Manchev.)
So this is the way to install SVN for Debian linux system (Debian, Linux Mint, Ubuntu,...) for n00bs

It's a copy of what have ever been posted on the old forum (thanks to who posted it)

* In this case you already have the "standard" installation of Alien Arena on your system.

* Prepare yourself cause it's quite long to download and install (TIPS : You can grab you a cold beer or anything you want during the installation)

* Open a terminal and run those commands step by step : (if the "LESS" command don't work you can type gedit)

$ cd
$ mkdir alienarena
$ svn checkout svn://icculus.org/alienarena/trunk alienarena
$ cd alienarena
$ less README
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

Then after that you can update with:

For major changes: new maps, and other data:

$cd ~/alienarena
$sudo make uninstall
$make clean
$svn update
$./configure
$make
$sudo make install

For source code changes only:

$cd ~/alienarena
$./configure
$make
$sudo make install-exec
02-27-2015, 10:13 PM,
Thanks for the instructions Chevy!

Just some additions:
To end the "less" command you can type "q".
If you use KDE and want to see the readme with a graphical text editor, you can use "kwrite README".
In distros that don't use "sudo", you can use:
su -c "make install" (you will be prompted for your root password)

As far as I know the instructions should work in other distros (non-debian based) as well.

(03-06-2013, 12:53 AM)Xulb Wrote: My word for messing up the svn copy is "hacking"! Big Grin

X
(02-13-2013, 01:04 PM)chessplayer Wrote: I did not knew that method too, this is really much more easy for people who are not familiar with the terminal, (and tbh in any case since, at least I, always find a way to mess up the local svn copy hehe).

ps.: Thanks for your believe in my coding skills. Big Grin I was reading "C++ for dummies" but my other hobbies always get in the way lol
[Image: ctchessplayer1.png]