Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy...
08-17-2014, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 08:51 PM by Joom.)
Howdy...
I go by Joom (obvious, huh?), and finally found my way over here. I've had AA installed for close to two years, but only played it for a short time. Just enough offline to get used to it, and just enough online to know I like it. Then I took a break for the last year. Looking to get back into it now.

Little background. I've been a gamer since there have been video games. For a while I was into game development using various engines, but have been out of that for the last 7-8 years. Just small time hobby stuff, mostly. Had a game development forum for quite a while, but as I backed away from development forum activity eventually dropped off and I locked the site.

I've always liked primarily two types of games, racing and FPS. The earlier FPS games were my favorites - CoD 1 & 2, Halo 1, Battlefield 1942, Iron Storm, Serious Sam 1, Delta Force, Half Life, Doom, Duke Nukem, and the list goes on. Back then, once a month, I used to host a monthly FPS LAN party that lasted from Saturday night to Sunday morning, with up to 16 PCs on the network over two floors. Ton of fun. 1am was pizza break.

Kind of got away from gaming around 2006. Then in 2010 I got a Wii, and a copy of ExciteBots. Except for a short look at AA last year, EB is what I've played for the last 4 years. Loved the game. A few months ago Nintendo shut down their servers, and I've been looking for something to replace EB ever since. Finally decided today to revisit AA, and found these forums. When I got into EB 4 years ago, I found there wasn't a real community out there for it, so I reopened my old game dev forums with a new structure and that's where those of us who raced EB have been hanging out. Other people there have also been looking for a game replacement, and I've suggested AA. Don't know how many will get into it. Besides the forum, we also have a C3 channel set up that we've always used over there for voice chat while playing.

So, since it's been a year or more since I've played AA, I plan on spending a couple nights offline remembering what the controls are and practicing a little, then I'll get back online. Even though I played like a rookie (which I am to this game), I enjoyed the online play with AA. I'm sure I'll be spending some time in there now once I get a little practice in.

And that's my story. Thanks again to the guys in the other thread for the welcome, much appreciated. I don't know how much time I'll have to hang out here in the forums, but I will be stopping in as much as possible to keep up with what's going on. Hope to see you all online, and if I do get lucky enough to take one of you out, don't take it personally - purely accidental. Reflexes aren't what they used to be.
08-18-2014, 01:44 AM,
RE: Howdy...
Welcome to Alien Arena, Joom Smile

Offline practice is good, online practice is better!
Plenty of people here who would like to help you getting started.

We too have voice servers. Info is here.

Here is a beginnersguide with some stuff to think about and some tricks and tips.

And of course you are welcome in our IRC network.

Cya in the arena Smile
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
08-18-2014, 03:18 AM,
Hi Joom. In that case, Welcome Back Cool
[Image: AAcbmp.png]
08-18-2014, 08:41 AM,
Nice story!
I'm so glad to see you here, and I'll be happy if you will be not only a player, but an active part of this community! After almost 10 years we are not the biggest community out there, but we are surely one of the most well-organized and newbies-friendly out there!
In other games, like CombatArms (an example of the games that I don't like a lot...) the players that are good are the ones that have money to buy some premium weapons and so on.
Here there aren't premium players!
We are proud to have this kind of community for this kind of game. It's simple: make a game with "premium" parts, and people will become crazy for this bull***t. I passed this morning and yesterday night in watching some videos for how making maps for AA. Alien Arena doesn't pay me for this, but I love doing that. That's Open Source, and I love it. When people talk about money, they don't make a game because they like it and they love the way the game may evolve and grow up, they do it only because of the money. Well, we are a community that's living since a lot of years ago, and it's all open source, donations, GPL, and great players. When I play AA, it feels like I am in a big family, and that's why I like it so much.

Thank you for joining AA. Invite people to play with us! Whenever you want, feel free to contact me, here or in IRC, so we can play some matches together! Smile
[Image: DOKyX.png]
08-18-2014, 11:12 AM,
Welcome Joom Smile
08-18-2014, 11:29 AM,
Welcome again, officially ;-)
08-18-2014, 12:17 PM,
Thanks for the welcome everybody. And bonfire, thanks for those links.

Kyxynox, good information. I'm one of those people that doesn't do 'clans', doesn't play any RPG/RTS/MMORPG type games, and likes to keep things simple. It appeared a lot of the people here were similar, which was why I joined the forums.

I work from a home office, which means that when I'm home I'm still usually working or taking calls. I've always liked the kind of video game that lets me take a break from work for a bit, play a little, then get back to work. It's not that I don't care about being good at a game, I just don't have the time to dedicate to the games that require profile building, etc. My favorite games are the ones that are basically simple in function, something I can be relatively good at with a little practice, and that I can jump into for a bit and get back out of without feeling like I'm missing most of the game's key points.

AA is like that, and it reminds me of the best of the old school FPS games. All I have to do is get familiar with the controls again, learn the maps, and then it's just down to skill. I'm not meaning to oversimplify the game, there's a lot to it, but that jump in and play fun factor is there. And that's good for those FPS rookies out there looking for a game they can actually get into, play, and enjoy.

Give me a day or two to get updated and familiar with controls again, and I'll be in there. As somebody mentioned, the best practice is always online.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned in the first post I might not have a lot of time to hang out in the forums here is just because of the home office thing, and I have 11 different forums to take care of myself. Always have irons in the fire. But I'll be around and checking in, and try to be as much a part of the community as possible. And sorry for the lengthy posts, but I tend to write a lot... Confused
08-18-2014, 03:58 PM,
Welcome to Alien Arena, world of fragging, fun, and friends! lol
Nice to have you in the community, Joom. I don't get the chance to play much lately, but I hope I'll see you soon.
(08-18-2014, 12:17 PM)Joom Wrote: And sorry for the lengthy posts, but I tend to write a lot... Confused
I have the habbit of not shutting up after I've made my point - LOL
Have fun and enjoy your time Joom.
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
08-18-2014, 05:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM by Joom.)
(08-18-2014, 03:58 PM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: I have the habbit of not shutting up after I've made my point - LOL
Thanks MH, appreciate the welcome. And yeah, people tell me I tend to write books, not posts. [Image: tongue.gif]

I'm sure I'll see you in there sometime soon. Guess I'll have to start associating forum names with in-game names.

Well, I've actually taken a little time to look through the forums a little more. Nice layout, lots going on, some fun stuff, and some good information. I haven't read through everything, though, so if I suggest something that's already been suggested, or ask something that's already been answered somewhere that I didn't find in a search, feel free to frag me a couple extra times next you see me in the game.

Still looking around, but already feels like a nice, comfortable place to hang out...
08-18-2014, 11:36 PM,
Welcome Joom,
Nice to see someone that has played some of the older FPS games, and has had some experience as a developer. Many people don't have the time to be active in a clan, so that shouldn't be a big deal at all. It seems that daytime in the USA is the time that you will run across the most activity in the servers. Probably be a good time for some brain breaks while you are working in the home office, lol. I didn't think your posts were overly long, since this isn't sms. Have fun, when you get a chance if you aren't using SVN for your game downloading give it a try. You will get the latest, greatest version, plus all the good times that beta users enjoy! There is info in the forums here about how to setup and use svn if you aren't familiar with it.

Most of all have fun.