Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
08-23-2014, 08:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015, 07:13 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
For a while I've been rather inactive in the community...but recently I've found some more time for u guys in Alien Arena Smile
In addition, I've had time to come back to mapping...

I have actually been mapping for a long time. I never posted them here at the forum before because I was shy at the time, and at the time just the pleasure of making custom maps for a game this awesome was enough for me.

But now I'd like to share my work with you.
So today I present two maps: Hi-Tech Hexagon:
DM/AOA/CTF/TCA/TCA-AOA/DB
[Image: AlienArena_038.jpg]
[Image: AlienArena_039.jpg]
[Image: AlienArena_040.jpg]

This is NOT my first map; one came before this one, but it was WAY too crappy for actual gameplay - LOL
Basically the layout is a small central hexagon-shaped room connecting two larger rooms. There is also a series of tunnels beneath the central hexagon that can be used to get from side-to-side. 3 invincibilities lay within the map. (I don't do this anymore, but it used to be fun putting in secrets until I realized I'd have an advantage over others) I recommend using Jousting and low grav when playing this, as the rooms are large, but the floor is covered with electricity.

And Watery Arboretum:
DM/AOA/CTF/CTF-AOA/TCA/TCA-AOA/DB

This is actually my LATEST map. There are many others in between these two, but I need some help with bugs in them. I'll post about that in a bit...
The layout: Two water-filled rooms with foliage connected by tunnels and another entrance to a larger, taller room with a beamgun and health/armor. CTF layout is different: two large water-filled foliage-covered rooms connected by the taller room and tunnels.
Also contains a -mini version, which is smaller and perhaps good for Rocket Arena battles. supports AOA and DM.
[Image: AlienArena_026.jpg]
[Image: AlienArena_027.jpg]
[Image: AlienArena_021.jpg]

There are MANY, many more I have started and nearly finished. Here's a list;

WIP:
Insanity Unlimited
Chemical Research and Processing Labs
Bloodthirsty Fortress
Deathray Junction

Bugfixing:
Sunset by the Sea
Urban Nightmare
Toxic Wasteland

Reconstructing:
Kyrpto Caverns
The Toxic Swamps

Well, I guess that's all, hope I didn't forget any - LOL
Let me know of any bugs/suggestions/problems/ideas etc. for my maps.

Downloads:
Old Arboretum: http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/watery-arboretum.zip
New Arboretum: http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/watery-ar...-final.zip
Hextech: http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/hi-tech-hexagon.zip

Hextech has been updated. Mapsrc is now included.
Arboretum has been updated. Mapsrc is now included.
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
08-24-2014, 12:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2014, 01:11 AM by xenos.)
RE: Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
Those look awesome, will have a play on them. As for map bugs, post em here with the source, some times a fresh set of eyes is all that is needed.

Are these maps to be considered as complete?

Edit: A couple of notes.

Arboretum is bound to be a hit, really like the layout and the ambience, this one will be great for insta. I found an issue with your leaves texture, in nearly all instances of these particular leaves you can see either the top of the the next image where it's tiled or there is a part of that texture that needs deleting.

[Image: 2pIi4b.jpg]

I quite like hextech as well, something doesn't look quite right about the lightning though, no map source included so couldn't fiddle.

Watery-Arboretum.zip contains arena/scripts/normals/green.script which refers to files that are not stock items, so it is depending on data that the client may not necessarily have. Including character files with maps imho is not a good practice, when the generation 3 changes are all complete I will be releasing a pack of the current models with all the skins but they will be renamed so they don't interfere with the newer models, which would definitely break your scripts.

These are both going to fun and popular, well done.

08-24-2014, 12:44 AM,
Looks vast and cool
X
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
08-24-2014, 03:50 AM,
They sure look great Metroid.
[Image: AAcbmp.png]
08-24-2014, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Thx guys, glad you like them Smile

Both of them were supposed to be full releases. As for hextech, I tried to fix the electricity problem myself - as a matter of fact, the reason it doesn't have CTF-AOA is because I made the other versions a long time ago. When I found out I could combine CTF and TCA with AOA, I tried them both...but for some strange reason, TCA-AOA had the animated electricity, whereas CTF-AOA didn't.
And then arboretum - the green.rscript is a script I forgot to delete from the zip when I figured out that custom skins were screwed up with the new gen3 models. I guess I could recreate green someday, but for now green is completely gone from arboretum's zip.

I'll update the zips at clancbmp.net in a bit: will remove the green skins' stuff from arboretum, will fix arboretum's leaf glitch, and include the source for every map in every zip.

EDIT: Mapsrc is now included in both zips; unfortunately, the leaf texture is sort of a messy thing to deal with...meaning I either have that tiny little bit extra, or the leaf looks cut off at the bottom. I guess we can put up with a tiny thing like that Tongue unless someone can give me a tip or something Tongue

If anyone has any tips on how to fix lightning/leaves, let me know.
08-24-2014, 11:29 AM,
nice work, mr metroid Smile

just gave them a spin and it looks great.
hextech will be a nice tca/ctf map.
i like it being confusing in the corridors.
that will lead to some hilarious battles!

but i wonder if this is correct:

[Image: AlienArena_004_zps115bb441.jpg]

shouldnt that be this one instead:

[Image: 640png_zpsa8c1490b.png]
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
08-24-2014, 12:43 PM,
(08-24-2014, 11:29 AM)[SiN]bonfire Wrote: but i wonder if this is correct:

[Image: AlienArena_004_zps115bb441.jpg]
Yes that's correct. I used Xenos' old texture from dm-deadsimple. I think it looks nice Smile
And the corridors actually were going to be strait - but when they didn't connect right, I got pretty upset. Tried it ingame with bots, however,
and thought it was WAY better than boring strait tunnels Smile
08-24-2014, 03:11 PM,
Hi-Tech Hexagon is a pretty nice map. Its design is kept simple.
The only thing I dislike is that you forgot to clip out the mapmodels. You can walk and shoot through all those models. This doesnt really matters, except on the railing!. You can see how its done in any mapsource Wink
And I can't find vehicles in the tca-aoa version. I know you have placed some, but where? Are they hidden? (note: I did not looked into the source)

I agree with Xenos on Arboretum. It's layout is kept simple and it should be a blast in insta.
But you could have made the corridors a bit higher. And there are to many leaves hanging down to the floor in the main room, so you cant see anything while walking there.
I really like the idea of the mini version. Its a fine duel map!
You could have used more shaders. I kind of miss the lightbeams of the weaponpads. And effects like lightbeam from the window in the ceilling like its done in many maps.

Good work, keep it up!

Its uploaded to the official downloadrepo!
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
08-24-2014, 03:35 PM,
The vehicles in TCA-AOA are hidden, same spot where 2 of the invincibilities are in the other modes actually...
As for those other problems, I'll look into fixing them. I had a problem with the electricity in Hextech a while back though, so I hope it doesn't happen again Tongue
I guess I could remove some of the foliage in those hallways in the main room.

I guess as I update the map it'll be updated to downloadrepo? Shoulda released beta versions Tongue
08-24-2014, 04:43 PM,
Well you've already released those maps. If you change something (without renaming the map) those who already have the old version will have compatiblity problems. Sure they can delete their version, but experience shows that this never works. there is always someone who complains about compatiblity problems Sad
If you plan to update them (without choosing a other name) let me know and i will delete those from the repo in order to prevent that many are having the map.
And yes, you should release beta versions in future Wink
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]