Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
08-25-2014, 06:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2014, 06:52 AM by {DO}Rigel.)
RE: Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
Its a good idea to initially release a map as a beta just to let it get some use before doing a complete release. This allows time to get feedback and make any needed tweaks. Just release the map with "-beta#" on the end where # is numeral so you can release multiple betas if you need to. For example dm-arboretum-beta1. Then when you are sure the map is complete, you haven't lost your choice name.

Having released already and needed to re-release you can sometimes append the year to the end of the map. Example dm-arboretum2k14 or dm-arboretum2014. This is nice in case a few years later you decide to update/modernize/revamp the map again.

Idea A word on map names: Idea
CallVote MAP requires you spell the map name perfectly or the map will never load. CallVote MAP will allow you to vote for any map whether it exists or not. Only after the vote has passed and it tries to load the map will you know if you spelled it right. For example, a vote for CallVote MAP dm-nonexistant could pass, and when the vote passes it will find there is no dm-nonexistant; then re-load the last map instead. So, be careful choosing your map names so they are memorable when you got to CallVote them Wink

I have not added the above maps to the DO servers yet, but rest assured I will soon.
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
08-25-2014, 07:53 AM,
I am strongly against adding a year tag to your file unless it's a remake of a previous map, for a few guidelines for releasing maps read this.

08-25-2014, 09:49 AM,
Well I'm so sorry about the trouble I've caused for not releasing betas first. I'll be sure to do it next time.
I'm going to actually leave hextech alone; this was one of my first maps, and I was planning to revamp it someday anyway. In the future, keep an eye out for hextech2k14/hextech2k15 (it depends lol)
As for arboretum, I'll play around with it today and think about how I'm gonna re-release it Tongue
I'm glad you guys like the maps though. It gives me a good feeling Smile

@Xenos: thanks for the guide, it was quite useful. The next map I should be releasing is wasteland, so I'll be sure to follow those instructions there.

Isn't it funny...while working on this map, Irritant "stole" my name, lol. Smile
Maybe I'll name arboretum dm-arboretum-final or something...well, cya in the arena and IRC. Thanks again for your help.
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
08-25-2014, 10:03 PM,
Nice maps MH. Gave both a short spin, and they're cool. Great job! Smile
08-26-2014, 06:38 PM,
I can't quite figure out what to do about the leaves, and I'd like a few
more people's opinions about it. Should I remove them, or should they
stay? Freaky commented on this, but no one else has. Maybe trying a game
with some peeps would help me decide? Bots are not quite the same as
intelligent living people.
--Pros and Cons--
Pros:
Having the leaves helps the ambiency of the map by making it look overrun with foliage.
The leaves, although they make you blind, they also make you harder to be hit by other people

Cons:
The leaves, although they help hide you from others, make you blind.

If I could play a DM game with some people and get their opinion that'd be nice...
08-26-2014, 09:29 PM,
I like the foliage everywhere, but I'm one of the odd ones that doesn't mind playing on a map with dim areas and obstacles, I figure everyone is playing on the same map and therefore no one has any dis/advantage. If you have cl_dm_lights on you can see people through the leaves anyway.

On another note: You could call arboretem dm-thearboretum.bsp for a final release.

08-27-2014, 07:54 AM,
Well just leave the foilage as it is. I have no troubles with it, but I know that some have. But since you can see everything perfect when you walk on the boarder, so next to the railing it isnt a big problem Wink
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
09-05-2014, 03:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Sorry to take over a week to edit arboretum some more, things keep coming up Tongue
But here it is, with lightbeams and a raised ceiling in the hallways:
[Image: AlienArena_089.jpg] [Image: AlienArena_090.jpg] [Image: AlienArena_091.jpg]
Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I want to make SURE this time before making a REAL final realease - lol (yeah, will do betas next time)
I'm ready and eager to move on to some other maps Big Grin Cool
After this release, of course, I'll still leave the old arboretum available (new one will be dm-thearboretum)
09-05-2014, 04:30 PM,
Hi Samus. Hi haven't played on your maps yet, but i can tell you smth about the lightbeams. They are looking like lamps, not like
lightbeams that shine through the windows. I mean it's dark outside on your screenshots. There would be no incoming intensive lights.
I would turn the light intensity down or bring some lamps on the ceiling and remove the lightbeams. Now it looks unnatural.
09-05-2014, 05:21 PM,
I have to be honest, I was against them from the very day I started that map - but I'd never done lightbeams before and Mr. Master Mapper Freaky suggested it, so I decided to experiment. I agree, it does look odd.
*removed*