Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
09-05-2014, 06:32 PM,
RE: Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
(09-05-2014, 05:21 PM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: I have to be honest, I was against them from the very day I started that map - but I'd never done lightbeams before and Mr. Master Mapper Freaky suggested it, so I decided to experiment. I agree, it does look odd.
*removed*
DaKota is absolutly right. They doesn't look correct, but just because you havent "tweaked" them correctly Wink
Try the shader below. Its size is a lot bigger what should rather statisfy Wink
You can adjust it even more by modifying the values behind static, so 50 and 80 in this case. Its a bit like toying around and try and error until it looks fine!
Code:
textures/anydirectory/thetextureyouused
{
    {
        map gfx/beam3.tga
        scale static 50 static 80
        colormap 1 1 1
        beam
    }
}
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
09-16-2014, 05:42 AM,
Heya MH,

I have uploaded arboretum to svn and aa3rdparty, though you can't see it on the site yet. Good job on packing this map, apart from removing a thumbs.db I didn't have to do anything else to it, nice job on bot paths too, all to often this step is omitted.

On examining hextech I found an error regarding sound: Server does not have file sound/sound/weapons/rocklx1a.wav. Could I please have a copy of this wav to include?

09-16-2014, 09:21 AM,
Ok Freaky, I've been busy working on other projects, but I'm currently compiling arboretum with the lightbeams again: except this time, I'm chaning the color from 0 0 0 to 10 0 0 in red base, and 0 0 10 in blue base. I'll keep trying until it looks right, then compile these changes on the other game modes and upload it here.

@Xenos: That looks like an error - the exploding brushes are tied to a target_speaker, with the sound rocklx1a.wav
But when I made this map, I thought the starting directory was arena/ not sounds/
So I put sound/weapons/rocklx1a, whereas it should have been weapons/rocklx1a.wav
It isn't too much of a problem, but if you think it's important, I guess you could take rocklx1a.wav and put it in there...
The new version of Hextech will be a ton better, trust me. This one was my first map...ever
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
09-16-2014, 10:09 AM,
Okay, so is arboretum el completo?

I'm a fussy nuisance really, anything that is missing at load time causes slow downs in load time, besides, wouldn't you want your sound to work? Tongue

09-16-2014, 11:15 AM,
Yes arboretum is "el completo" Smile
I'm making a newer version "thearboretum" with the things Freaky suggested, but "arboretum" is done.
The sound actually does work: I did not know this at the time, but rocklx1a.wav is the default sound for exploding entities. I guess if it slows down load time, a file arena/sound/sound/weapons/rocklx1a.wav should be inserted into the zip lol Angel

I'll update this zips at clancbmp.net in a minute or two...
09-16-2014, 12:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM by xenos.)
So should I remove arboretum from the aa3rdparty svn and web site and wait for thearboretum?

09-16-2014, 01:58 PM,
No, I don't see why - "thearboretum" is just a newer version, but "arboretum" was sort of a beta...
hi-tech-hexagon.zip at clancbmp.net was updated with the sound
Thanks Xenos Smile
(08-25-2014, 09:49 AM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: Well I'm so sorry about the trouble I've caused for not releasing betas first. I'll be sure to do it next time.
Two more are on their way...
09-19-2014, 09:54 AM,
With a few scraps of time I found around here lately, I managed to get the lightbeams looking better
Here are some pics, let me know what you think.
[Image: AlienArena_139.jpg] [Image: AlienArena_140.jpg] [Image: AlienArena_141.jpg] [Image: AlienArena_142.jpg]
I colored the beams in the team bases, didn't before Angel and they look rather soft, giving the feeling that not much light is coming in.
I'm gonna start compiling these changes in the other game modes, let me know what you think of the lights.
09-19-2014, 12:17 PM,
The first picture looks a bit odd. I mean the light outside isn't bluish. Try to put a fog file to your map and define the right color for it.

The same story in the last picture. Try to optimize the shader in the 2nd picture. It should have more width, it's too linear. I would
take the same shader like in the 3rd picture. It's perfect there.

Keep it up, Samus! Smile
09-19-2014, 02:31 PM,
agreed.
it looks real neat with the light effects, but it doesn't look real, because the colors don't match.
Ban? Who Can I Ban???