Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
03-31-2015, 07:18 PM,
RE: Hi-Tech Hexagon, Arboretum, and more...
After a while of inactivity (family crisis, work, etc.) I'm happy to get back to work on my maps Smile
(09-19-2014, 12:17 PM)DaKota Wrote: The first picture looks a bit odd. I mean the light outside isn't bluish. Try to put a fog file to your map and define the right color for it.

The same story in the last picture. Try to optimize the shader in the 2nd picture. It should have more width, it's too linear. I would
take the same shader like in the 3rd picture. It's perfect there.

Keep it up, Samus! Smile
Alright, the only problem is I don't know how to make a fog file that covers different parts of the map in different colors/densities of fog..
Anyone know?
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
04-01-2015, 08:46 AM,
(03-31-2015, 07:18 PM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: After a while of inactivity (family crisis, work, etc.) I'm happy to get back to work on my maps Smile
(09-19-2014, 12:17 PM)DaKota Wrote: The first picture looks a bit odd. I mean the light outside isn't bluish. Try to put a fog file to your map and define the right color for it.

The same story in the last picture. Try to optimize the shader in the 2nd picture. It should have more width, it's too linear. I would
take the same shader like in the 3rd picture. It's perfect there.

Keep it up, Samus! Smile
Alright, the only problem is I don't know how to make a fog file that covers different parts of the map in different colors/densities of fog..
Anyone know?

Nope! I'm a completely useless mapping noob! Big Grin
[Image: Fdp7AUH.jpg]
04-01-2015, 12:56 PM,
(03-31-2015, 07:18 PM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: Alright, the only problem is I don't know how to make a fog file that covers different parts of the map in different colors/densities of fog..
Anyone know?

This is NOT possible (yet?)!
You sadly can't use fogs for parts of a map. This is especially bad when you have a ctf map with red/blue-colored lights in the base. Its recommend to use a fog that is only colored a bit then Wink

Since this wont work here my suggestion: put a brush ove the window. or even better create a litte box around it if your "skybox" ist flat Wink. use a texture that is completly or red respectively blue painted. make it transparent and your sky should look red/blue Wink - I'm not aware of an better workaround solution :/
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
04-01-2015, 02:34 PM,
(04-01-2015, 12:56 PM)Freaky Wrote:
(03-31-2015, 07:18 PM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: Alright, the only problem is I don't know how to make a fog file that covers different parts of the map in different colors/densities of fog..
Anyone know?

This is NOT possible (yet?)!
You sadly can't use fogs for parts of a map. This is especially bad when you have a ctf map with red/blue-colored lights in the base. Its recommend to use a fog that is only colored a bit then Wink

Since this wont work here my suggestion: put a brush ove the window. or even better create a litte box around it if your "skybox" ist flat Wink. use a texture that is completly or red respectively blue painted. make it transparent and your sky should look red/blue Wink - I'm not aware of an better workaround solution :/
Looks awesome, thanks Freaky!
Possibly the last thing I have to do is fix this other brush, the one in the foreground - that's the one from which the lightbeam protrudes, and as you can see, it allows you to completely see through the blue (and red) brushes into the skybox.
Shouldn't take too much, just changing the trans values around I presume.
[Image: 6UcxwUz.jpg]
04-02-2015, 06:26 PM,
Hate to double post, but I need Freaky's help Tongue
I was going over the map looking for minor visual flaws and I remembered this:
(09-19-2014, 09:54 AM)[CM]METROIDHunter Wrote: [Image: AlienArena_140.jpg]
As you can see, the lightbeam looks like the texture is being mapped twice. The problem is the lightbeams in the hallways use the exact same brushes (as in dimension and texture) and shaders as the lightbeams in the middle parts of the map.
Shader file:
Code:
textures/arena7/glass
{
    {        
        map gfx/mirrorspec.tga
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        scale static 1 static 1
        scroll static 0 static 0
        alphashift 0 0.1 0.1
        envmap
    }
}
textures/metal/fade2
{
    {
        map gfx/beam3.tga
        scale static 30 static 80
        colormap 1 1 1
        beam
    }
}
textures/metal/fade1
{
    {
        map gfx/beam3.tga
        colormap 10 0 0
        beam
    }
}
textures/blanks/blank2
{
    {
        map gfx/beam3.tga
        colormap 0 2 7
        beam
    }
}
Suggestions? Huh
04-03-2015, 07:34 AM,
I don't understand your problem tbh. Since this is what it should looks like. Open data1/gfx/beam3.tga with an image viewer and you will see that it is not a single beam. its a big light beam with a smaller one next to it, so exactly like on your screenshot.
If this is that that annoys you, you can use other light beams instead Wink I think beam2.tga might fits to this picture as well.
One other thing is: those brushes should be small! even if the surface is 1x1 units you should see the whole lightbeam. Avoid brushes with surfaces that are bigger as the light beam. Sometimes it happens that there are shown 2 (or 1 1/2) light beams instead of one in the center. You can usually notice this effect on some weaponpads on command2k9 Wink
04-03-2015, 04:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Thanks again Freakster! I'm about to compile the changes on the other game modes - but first take a look at how the lightbeams now look:
[Image: s8cdCvK.jpg]
[Image: EgaiD3K.jpg] [Image: zr3Af3A.jpg] [Image: v5DTZ0R.jpg]
04-10-2015, 07:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
After a few more bugfixes and fine-tuning, I can finally pronounce the new Arboretum as complete!

Thank you all for your feedback and support Smile sit tight for more!

Download (also included in first post): http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/watery-ar...-final.zip

~{CBMP}METROIDHunter

EDIT: Fixed download Tongue
04-11-2015, 11:29 AM,
First of all I barely remember how the "beta" version looked like and I have not tested it before writing this. But it still seems to be a improvement. The atmosphere is dark and has even something like a creepy feeling Smile
There are minor things that could have been improved, but it is really a nice work overall! - especially for your first (released) map Smile
The thing that bugs me most are those "windows" in the ctf version. I mean the round things where you have used the texture gothmetal1. On insta ctf you can easily camp behind those windows and shoot toward the flag in order to prevent that someone takes it. This would work perfect when someone does the same on the other side, so they would protect each other from enemies behind :/ Well thats in theory, dunno if this will happens on playing, i hope it wont XD
Again, nice result, keep it up Smile

- Oh and you could create botpathes (at least for the mayor versions, so DM and CTF) Wink
04-11-2015, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015, 01:46 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Ah, I guess in the confusion of fine-tuning the light beams and fixing minor bugs I forgot all about bot nav files!
They've been added now!

(As for the camping problem, you can always sneak up on them from behind the leaves and blast their heads off Smile)