Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seaside/Urban Nightmare/Chemical Labs
04-27-2015, 05:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-27-2015, 05:12 PM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Seaside/Urban Nightmare/Chemical Labs
Heyas, METROIDHunter here with more maps! Don't panic, I learned from Hextech and Arboretum I should release betas Tongue
Today I bring you:
DM/AOA/CTF: Sunset by the Sea (beta1)
[Image: USDFYi7.jpg]
Being a rebel, I stray from the theme of Alien Arena to create a "pretty" map Tongue
Much smaller than my other maps, this one has a couple jump pads you can fly around the map with. Shoot someone down with the smartgun!

DM/CTF/TCA: Urban Nightmare (beta1)
[Image: 35JYrLB.jpg]
[Image: AjbZ6sp.jpg]
This is a much larger map. Here we have an abandoned little city at night, with green fog, green guns, and two team bases for
CTF and TCA. With all that open space it should be an instagib frag fest Smile
Also, the fences are camper-proof.

DM/CTF: Chemical Research and Processing Labs (beta1) [Image: VFDKST4.jpg]
This was probably the map I enjoyed making the most Smile
As you can see from the screenies, it's just your regular chemical/power plant/factory thingy with guns.

That's it for this batch - as usual, let me know of any bugs/suggestions and what you think. I'm still a newbie when it comes to fine details, I saw that with my previous maps Tongue
All the maps will have lightmaps on final release Wink
Enjoy!

Downloads (betas):
Seaside: http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/seaside-beta1.zip
Urban Nightmare: http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/urban-nig...-beta1.zip
Chemical: http://clancbmp.net/files/maps/chemical-labs-beta1.zip
Spreading the green goo since '13
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbt3PlPO26s4ioMNtSnwx...COlPmqMXlg]
04-27-2015, 06:25 PM,
RE: Seaside/Urban Nightmare/Chemical Labs
Hey Metroid, i think the images may be glitched or maybe it's just me. Smile

nice maps though! Big Grin
(coming from a n00by mapper, but hey)

good job!
[Image: Fdp7AUH.jpg]
04-27-2015, 06:39 PM,
(04-27-2015, 06:25 PM)UR-Next Wrote: Hey Metroid, i think the images may be glitched or maybe it's just me. Smile

nice maps though! Big Grin
(coming from a n00by mapper, but hey)

good job!
Dammit - sorry about the images, prntscr seems to be messing up like that a lot lately Confused I don't know why
04-28-2015, 01:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015, 01:50 PM by DaKota.)
The first one looks a bit like one of BG's maps. I personally don't like wide open areas for fast fps games.
Wide open areas makes the gameplay slowly, imo <- no criticism for your map, i mean it generally.
But i love to see someone, who likes to make maps for AA Smile We have some mappers around here, but a lot
of them are very inactive for personally reasons, me too Undecided
The 2nd one could have some more nicely effects -> lightbeams, shaders etc. It looks a bit too dreary.
The 3rd one looks good so far (haven't played on it yet, but it makes a good dent on the pic Smile

Keep it up, mate Smile
04-28-2015, 07:16 PM,
Oh where to start?

--- seaside ---
Hehe, what an nice concept. i was curious as i saw the screenshots. but then I gave it a try. I sadly don't like the map at all. It takes ages to get out of the water. if you want to create a map with jumppads you should better do something in the direction of terminal. because of the huge distance I doubt anything else beside instagib will be fun. the billboards infront of the houses are to low, so you can jump against them. and in the ctf version teleporters are useless anyway Sad. speaking of teleporters: you should adjust those in the middle (same for dm version). Oh and from a point of design/style I have to say that it does not looks good.
One possible suggestion might be adding some kind of jumppads on the ground. or do it like on the beta version of my first map: have something like a big tube with a trigger_push in the middle. this will carry you through the tube in an decent speed, and even can pushes you out of the water.
my criticism of this map is really bad, but its also because i simply dont like those kind of maps :p

--- urban nightmare ---
thats my favourite map of those 3! i like the creepy atmosphere. you have put some eye catchers there, that have the impact of an much better design compared to seaside. the layout is ok. at least in the dm version it would be nice to have a 2nd way in the middle of the map, not only the narrow one.
you should add some houses around the map in order to avoid touching the skybox. look at invasion or impact for inspiration. i mean that it should looks like you are really in a destroyed city. you should place more meshes overall, and add some details like blood blobs. few parts are very dark. yes thats probably intended, but you should still see your enemy well.
thats it. to sum up: make it brighter and add more details. you can find alot of inspiration in other maps

--- chemical labs ---
This map kind of surprised me. there are a lot of creative elements. its visuality is ok, but many parts feel "empty". you can place mapmodels or other details there. i cant really tell alot about the layout, since i only had a quick walk around it, that brings me to the next point. you should create some parts of the map more unique. i had problems to know where i am and where i have to walk :o a other thing you should do is making the doors to work as a pair/team. this works by adding the key "team" value "teamname" to each pair of the door in the entitie menu. once you have shot against one, the other one will be opened too.
something that seems to be a bug: the machine is not positioned against the wall.
[Image: gQ8SuTu0cwzK.jpg]

something general: its a beta version. you dont have to mess around with bot files and so on, same for levelshots. just place the .bsp file and every other files that are necessary in order to view the map properly, like script files and textures. this saves few minutes Wink
and a final release does not mean that you should built lightmapfiles. mostly the lightmap inside the bsp file is fine enough! its useless unless you have a lot of shadows. a well lit map does defnitly not benefit from it.

well i have to admit that was harsh criticism, but i hope it helps you to improve the maps Wink
i have absolutly no time for mapping atm, but i hope to release at least 1 map this year XD
--> metroid hunter, keep up your mapping spree (:
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
04-28-2015, 09:53 PM,
Yeah, I like how freaky described chemical. it DID feel kinda empty, like something was missing.

I think there should be more lighting and a LOT more detail of the inside of the buildings on UN.

as for seaside.... yeah. it was too open and there isnt enough space to walk on. if you're in the water- you're screwed XD

still great job!

(i need to get back to work on dm-cardealership *wink*)
[Image: Fdp7AUH.jpg]
04-29-2015, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM by [CM]METROIDHunter.)
Welp, I think I've finally learned a thing or two about mapping Tongue
I've trashed a couple barely started maps and started a new one, so now I pretty much have a clean slate - once these are out of the way.
I'm kinda disappointed no one likes seaside, but I have to admit I see your point Sad
As for Urban Nightmare, it'll be tricky but I'll experiment with throwing meshes and buildings in there without wrecking the flow of the map.
And Chemical may be just as tricky. The kind of theme I was going for with that was more...what's the word, arcadey? Tongue I was trying to make a semi-colorful map with machines 'n crap, but I guess I forgot about meshes...they can really come in handy!

Well, with the other 3 maps that are currently W.I.P., I'm going to use some things I've learned from my past two batches of maps:
1. Use meshes
2. Use lightbeams, and pay attention to what color of light is coming from where.
3. Add more detailing brushes, like hanging wires, etc.
4. Don't use big bodies of water
5. Improve the layout
6. Don't be too hasty; go over the map with a critical eye before beta release

I've been examining both Freaky's maps and stock maps for inspiration - I hope the next batch will be better

@Freaky:
And yes, harsh criticism, but it's gonna help me fix up both these two maps and the next batch Smile
And good luck making a map XD hope you can

@DaKota:
Coincidentally, it WAS based off of one of BG's maps
05-02-2015, 12:31 PM,
ay ay ay ay - the maps look even nice (noob speaks)

keep mapping!
No, Signature needed tho?!
09-01-2015, 08:57 PM,
Are the beta links at the top post still current, and do they point to the latest beta release?
Are there any completed, full release versions that I missed?
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile