Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving on from Sharpeye
02-17-2016, 12:16 AM,
RE: Moving on from Sharpeye
(02-16-2016, 10:44 PM)Irritant Wrote: Rigel, what are the performance issues?
I can't hit what I should be hitting. Sometimes I have to shoot just behind someone to hit them (on an antilag server with 30 ping). It feels like the mouse does not move proportionally all the time. Not obviously irregular, just a little; enough to miss by a little. There is no adapting to that either. I don't know how to explain it better; I don't have the control I used to - be that me or something else its just not there anymore.

On another point, just last week, I had Spoonage dead in my crosshairs on a pretty close shot, and it missed him, twice in a row. I suspect the shot came out some moments after I physically pressed the mouse (which I accept as normal), but I was frustrated and I can't say I truly believe that's what happened. I had to leave the server. I was unwilling to eat that, which is bad in itself, but that was where I found myself from cumulative wear.

Last week Dondo and I were on the DO USA CTF server, where I have 30-40 ping and he has upwards of 150. He was running me over completely. I said to him that it appears the server favors you, and he agreed - which sparked my curiosity. I began to explain my frustration at which point he told me I'm easier to hit than the other players. I pushed him on this point, and he made it clear; other players (like Moon for example, who is a pretty simple player) are harder for him to hit than me. Whenever he tries to hit me, its usually an easy shot for him (i.e. when he shoots at Moon, he has to work harder for it).

This news comes hard. For a long time I've been struggling feeling like something is grossly unfair. I'm unable to do what it seems to me I could easily do before (2 years ago) and the blame is always some anomalous condition. Aiming is impossibly difficult; not scientific and irregular. I can't time jumps and dodges even with low ping. A game at 160 ping feels like 200+ ping. Everything is labored and imprecise.

There's the lure of fun and excitement in the game, but its not comparable anymore to the sour. Its just a hope that it might get better - like if I can fix something. I'm forever trying to figure out what's wrong when it might be that nothing is wrong, or that there is no fix. I have to just disconnect myself when I consider that it might be caused by some recent (last 2 years) change and then realize, why aren't other people plagued by this also? If not that, then what - me? That doesn't quite stand up either, but its not totally discountable.

I'm 50 this month, so it should be expected that my game will suffer a little. Also I'm really far from the node, and its all copper, so I have to accept I will never have a great connection. There is packet loss in my connection, internet access goes down frequently, so I have to assume that part of my problem is my ISP (U-verse). These are not new things, but they are in addition to the other problems for a grand total.

If I'm not having fun, then what am I doing? AA is emotionally expensive at this point. If I can't fix it, then maybe its time to do something else. Its like playing on a server where you're the only one that's not cheating. How long are you going to do that before you leave? Obviously that isn't true, but the feeling is identical.

I've spoken to Max about this next idea: What about a number that appears in the scoreboard next to ping that represents your connection quality. It should consider packet loss, ping fluctuation, time fluctuation, and other measurable metrics associated to line quality. This indicates who's playing exceptionally well with a great connection and who's playing less well with an inferior connection. Ping alone doesn't tell the story. That may or may not provide me with ease, never the less its a worthy enhancement.

"All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others" - Animal Farm by George Orwell
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
02-17-2016, 06:33 AM,
Rigel is right on the mouse movement I also found the same problems (and not with 200 ping these problems are noticed already around you 70 80 ping)
shrouded players (some time)do not die even if the viewfinder is perfectly centered on them
and I noticed that some players are harder to kill in the game especially the martianoverlord models and the martianwarriors
It seems to have a different impact surface
I have played many FPS AA is the most beautiful but it has some gaps in the anti lag plane

regarding the invitations to join the clan THANKS guys

while there is hope of not dissolve the SE clan until there Vaan I rest faithful to my flag Smile
if the clan will die I will be pleased to accept your invitations thanks Smile
the law is equal for all, in my country is one hope
[Image: Seclan.jpg]

02-17-2016, 07:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2016, 07:42 AM by berycz.)
I've got the same feeling, I think that the antilag is worse than the "version" before... I quite got used to it tho... but sometimes I have the feeling that I miss shot even if my crosshair was clearly on someone... I blame my "old" rig and servers for such things. For example, last two weeks I played mostly on BBM ctf server and got used to it and yesterday I played on DO Euro and the antilag feels very differently there...
czech web about Alien Arena http://aa.berycz.net/ and my "blog" about programming in python and traveling http://www.berycz.net/
02-17-2016, 08:15 AM,
Rigle, itz something different when the adminstrator of clan is gone (666)

staying in >> for sure for now Devil<3<3<3
No, Signature needed tho?!
02-17-2016, 11:18 AM,
Ok, thanks Rigel for the feedback, and I am sorry you're having these issues still. What you are describing to me sounds like a classic case of packet loss, and I can go into detail about that.

First though, let me clarify something before it gets entirely out of hand - and I'm going to politely request that if anyone here has bugs, issues, please post them in the bug report section, but only do so after reading the following about what you're talking about.

1. Antilag has not been changed in YEARS. YEARS. The last release is the same as it was, nothing changed.

2. Mouse input also, has not been changed in many YEARS.

3. ALL player models have the EXACT same hit boxes, the EXACT same health properties in every single way. Player hitboxes are hardcoded, and have nothing to do with the shape or look or size of the actual player model.

Now that we have *that* cleared up, let's discuss the issues that people are having with anti-lag, packet loss, and performance over networks.

First, if you are using WiFi, stop right here, read no further, and go grab yourself a beer and slap yourself in the face with a dead fish please Big Grin Then go out and buy an ethernet cable and plug that sucker into your router directly!

Berycz, is right about the different servers having different "feels". This is largely due to two things - lag, and reliability. Alien Arena servers run at only 10 frames per second. This is a *very* low frame rate, so precision is not all that great. If a single packet is lost, or corrupted, or otherwise out of sync, the results are very noticeable. Rigel's example of having a player in the crosshairs, and shooting, only to have it miss is a clear case of fluctuating ping, and possibly packet loss or packets being out of order. At 10fps, the precision is very dependent on having a STEADY ping, so if you have fluctuations in connecting to that server, it's going to be highly frustrating. No game is immune to this, it's part of online arena FPS gaming since the dawn of it, but some games are better equipped to handle the problems. Quake 3 for example, ran at 20fps, so the problems are less noticeable. Other games run at 40 fps, and it feels even more precise, because packet errors don't have nearly the percentage of effect they do at lower server fps.

Actual mouse input issues(and I think some of your are describing lag issues as mouse issues inaccurately) are a different issue completely. That is purely your mouse/driver combo, and has nothing to do with the game. Alien Arena's mouse input code is rock solid, and used/proven for many years by many different games.

For those with connection issues, there may be relief on the way with Generation 3. One thing I am committed to doing is changing the server frame rate(and in fact, making it a cvar that can be set by the server, and the client being able to adjust). Alien Arena servers will be able to run between 10 and 40 fps. I in fact made this change some years ago, but ran into some problems and had other priorities so I never got it totally working, but it was close. The default will probably be 20 or 30. The drawback is that on slower connections, player's ping is going to be higher with higher server framerates, but precision will be greatly improved. Most commercial servers can handle 40 fps(and maybe most home connections can now too), but that'll certainly require quite a bit of testing to prove. It goes without saying that Generation 3 will *not* be compatible with older versions when it is released.
02-17-2016, 12:46 PM,
(02-17-2016, 11:18 AM)Irritant Wrote: For those with connection issues, there may be relief on the way with Generation 3. One thing I am committed to doing is changing the server frame rate(and in fact, making it a cvar that can be set by the server, and the client being able to adjust). Alien Arena servers will be able to run between 10 and 40 fps. I in fact made this change some years ago, but ran into some problems and had other priorities so I never got it totally working, but it was close. The default will probably be 20 or 30. The drawback is that on slower connections, player's ping is going to be higher with higher server framerates, but precision will be greatly improved. Most commercial servers can handle 40 fps(and maybe most home connections can now too), but that'll certainly require quite a bit of testing to prove. It goes without saying that Generation 3 will *not* be compatible with older versions when it is released.
How much impact would that have on the server's CPU? And would that impact be the same if there are 2 or 3 game servers running on the server, or would it be worse the more servers you run?
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Map Packs by Xenos
http://hal.nanoid.net/aa3rdparty
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
02-17-2016, 12:48 PM,
About the mouse issues, check the software and drivers you installed for your mouse.
I know that this has an impact on me...
Odd things like getting stuck until you die, aiming totally off etc.
I uninstalled my drivers and software and tadaa, it worked as it should.
reinstalling it leads to the same issues again.
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
02-17-2016, 01:03 PM,
(02-17-2016, 12:46 PM)animal Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 11:18 AM)Irritant Wrote: For those with connection issues, there may be relief on the way with Generation 3. One thing I am committed to doing is changing the server frame rate(and in fact, making it a cvar that can be set by the server, and the client being able to adjust). Alien Arena servers will be able to run between 10 and 40 fps. I in fact made this change some years ago, but ran into some problems and had other priorities so I never got it totally working, but it was close. The default will probably be 20 or 30. The drawback is that on slower connections, player's ping is going to be higher with higher server framerates, but precision will be greatly improved. Most commercial servers can handle 40 fps(and maybe most home connections can now too), but that'll certainly require quite a bit of testing to prove. It goes without saying that Generation 3 will *not* be compatible with older versions when it is released.
How much impact would that have on the server's CPU? And would that impact be the same if there are 2 or 3 game servers running on the server, or would it be worse the more servers you run?
Very minimal impact. Server overhead is quite minute.
02-17-2016, 02:16 PM,
I'd just like to add, that I meant the last change in antilag code few years ago... I remember you Irritant saying, that it is the best antilag you might make, or the best there ever was in AA, or smth like that... but nvm, I'm not gonna argue with that, maybe the problem is somewhere else, or maybe it just was more "stable" before and now it more depends on server/client HW or connection... whatever, I take it the way it is, I know nothing about these things...
czech web about Alien Arena http://aa.berycz.net/ and my "blog" about programming in python and traveling http://www.berycz.net/
02-17-2016, 03:07 PM,
This is so not the right thread for this, but hey Smile

Bery, what you refer to, is the updated anti-lag.

Before this update, if I am not recalling completely wrong, there
was an error in how anti-lag was calculating and kicking in.
to be more exact, anti-lag didn't do anything until a player got over 100 ping.

For oldskool players like us, that was like playing without any anti-lag at all.
And thus more like it used to be, i.e. you aimed a little to the left or right from
your opponent and bam, he was gone.

The updated anti-lag, removed the "need" for that adjustment ingame.

For myself, it took some time before I got used to that.
Quite a lot of time, to be more exact Smile
Ban? Who Can I Ban???