Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving on from Sharpeye
02-17-2016, 03:38 PM,
RE: Moving on from Sharpeye
(02-17-2016, 03:07 PM)[SiN]bAnfire Wrote: This is so not the right thread for this, but hey Smile

Bery, what you refer to, is the updated anti-lag.

Before this update, if I am not recalling completely wrong, there
was an error in how anti-lag was calculating and kicking in.
to be more exact, anti-lag didn't do anything until a player got over 100 ping.

For oldskool players like us, that was like playing without any anti-lag at all.
And thus more like it used to be, i.e. you aimed a little to the left or right from
your opponent and bam, he was gone.

The updated anti-lag, removed the "need" for that adjustment ingame.

For myself, it took some time before I got used to that.
Quite a lot of time, to be more exact Smile
That is 100% correct. This was about 5 or more years ago, if I remember correctly.

As mentioned though, because of the very low server fps, a stable ping is paramount for the antilag code to work(and really the same issues exist without the antilag code in that you'd have to lead by varying distances to hit your target). Some connections have pings that fluctuate rapidly up and down, and this causes the issues. Having a server run at 40 fps vs 10 fps will go a LOOOONG way in making that better for people with less stable connections, and even those that have stable connections will notice an improvement in precision and accuracy.
02-17-2016, 07:49 PM,
aah, ok, that explains a lot, thanks
czech web about Alien Arena http://aa.berycz.net/ and my "blog" about programming in python and traveling http://www.berycz.net/
02-17-2016, 09:55 PM,
I'm aware of using a wire over wi-fi. We have 3 PCs at our house that play AA. 2 of them are unavoidably on wi-fi - these are the PCs that my son's play on. My computer is right next to modem and uses a very short cat5 cable.

About the mouse - it is possible to truncate your mouses hardware resolution by using 1 or more software drivers/control interfaces. There is a technique to getting ALL of your hardware's possible resolution and preventing duelling drivers etc from truncating it. This technique is dependant on your OS. If you are interested to learn about this: http://ducesoforion.com/forums/topic/mou...ion-guide/

The last change to the Linux mouse behavior was done by Max, and if I remember correctly it had the effect of being more like how Windows did it. This was 2 or 3 years ago. It did indeed improve the way the mouse felt in Linux. I do not think this is associated with the problem's I have.

The problem I personally am experiencing with the mouse is that it takes me far too long to acquire the target. I know how fast I should be from years of playing. I have played on multiple systems, I've gotten used to several mice, I've played under a diverse sent of conditions. I can actually acquire a target faster and more accurately on my son's PC (wi-fi with a 9800 GTX+) than I can on my hard wired system with a GTX 460. This is not a small difference either, its significantly harder on my wired system and I have no clue why.

I'm not saying that this problem is AA, I don't know what it is. I'm losing the war of attrition with it though. Each time I find a way to improve the game for me I feel a glimmer of hope. Each time I end up crushed when I discover that its better, but not good enough. I'm again hopeful that the new net code might be an answer. I'm cynically pessimistic though, I've been here before.

I've been a big fan of Anti-Lag ever since the last improvement to it years ago. As I recall the antilag code was being bypassed for some reason, so even though we thought it was on, it was not. There was also a mathematical error causing it to be slightly off (again this is subject to a very fuzzy memory)? After this last fix the game became immensely more predictable, and allowed for a vastly improved range of pings to play together well. I'm a huge fan, I'm so glad we have it, and I don't think this has anything to do with my problem. That said, I'm not 100% that there isn't some lingering alignment problem that is at least in part associated with antilag, though it might be totally unrelated.

I personally would like to be able to record a demo that saves what the client saw (client view). Currently demos replay only what the server saw (server view). I would like the ability to replay what my personal client saw, so that I can say to the developers "At 3 min and 27 seconds, that should have been a hit. Was that packets, or was that a cheat, or what the heck was that?" or to another player "Ok slick, you won that - nice job. Here is my demo, can I see yours?"

The case for a "Client View" demo (in addition not instead of the current "Server View" demos): At least for me, demo play back falls short of what I expect to see; Shots that falsely miss, jumps that fail, players that dodn't appear in time to react to. All of these things are absent on the "Server View" demo. A "Client View" demo would show the problems plainly. A "Server View" demo shows exactly the opposite of what you need, it shows why it makes perfect sense. Because you can learn a lot by watching "Server View" demos currently, imagine how much better that sort of analysis would be using a "Client View" demo instead. This is not at all limited to trouble shooting and improving your game either, the is a serious up side on technical troubleshooting and communicating to development and others too.

I honestly don't know how difficult it would be to implement client side demo recordings, but I'm hopeful this is really pretty easy. I don't want to record my screen like you see on YouTube because that further taxes the resources I'm trying to trouble shoot. Also those files end up being large, you have to copy them to a web friendly frame rate and resolution. A demo would be significantly superior; smaller and with more/better quality data.

Back to my observations and performance problems: I've yet to hear someone confirm or deny my observation the server is favoring one player over the others or why I almost never spawn on the flag stand on ctf-terminal on a public server. I'm also at a loss to explain Dondo's observation that I'm easier to hit than anyone else. I can accept that a significant portion of my frustration might be due to packet loss. But it can't be all of it.
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
02-18-2016, 06:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2016, 06:13 PM by DeathRay.)
I do not believe a client side demo is possible, in AA or any other game. Generally, you have to use video capture for that side of thing. I could be wrong, but my first thought is that it's a huge undertaking in any case, and not something we are really interested in devoting time to do. Patches are always welcome for things like this.

Since you mention differences between systems when it comes to acquiring targets, you have your answer right there as to what the cause is(system, mouse settings, drivers, etc).

Congrats on making it to 50 Smile I'm right behind you, and yes, the eyes don't work like they used to, and I often find myself fighting off motion sickness(though that could just be from a lack of steady playing).

Quote:Back to my observations and performance problems: I've yet to hear
someone confirm or deny my observation the server is favoring one player
over the others or why I almost never spawn on the flag stand on
ctf-terminal on a public server. I'm also at a loss to explain Dondo's
observation that I'm easier to hit than anyone else. I can accept that a
significant portion of my frustration might be due to packet loss. But
it can't be all of it.

A server cannot "favor" someone. There is no code that does anything like that. Of course players with poor connections are at a disadvantage. You can only even the playing field so much, and there is no way to do it for packet loss, or packet syncronisation issues. Also, the code for spawning is purely random, and again, it's impossible for it to favor any player over another. As for being easier to hit, that's definitely something that lag and packet loss contribute to, very heavily. Anti-lag can only deal with aiming, it doesn't do anything for movement.

Right now, I'm still working on content, but will be moving from that once I have Ctf-Violator and Ctf-Abyss completed, and the other maps tweaked up. I will then focus on the server frame rate code for a bit.
02-20-2016, 10:57 PM,
(02-18-2016, 06:03 PM)Irritant Wrote: Congrats on making it to 50 Smile I'm right behind you, and yes, the eyes don't work like they used to, and I often find myself fighting off motion sickness(though that could just be from a lack of steady playing).
You gotta start playing on a higher FOV. 90 degrees makes me ill every time.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip