Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manage your servers with a few mouse clicks
01-22-2015, 12:31 AM,
Manage your servers with a few mouse clicks
Fellow server dudes,

For a long time I've been thinking about how nice it would be to have a little app on your desktop that would let you change maps, see who's on, issue commands, kick people, etc, without having to go into the game console.

Well, I made one. It's still pretty rough, but it seems to work. It's written in Python, so it should work anywhere (I've tested in on my Ubuntu box and on WinDoze). It does everything over the network via rcon -- no need to run it on the machine that is hosting your server.

It would be EXCELLENT if you guys would try it, see if it works, see if you like it, tell me what's broken etc.

A couple of screenies below will give you the idea. Go to the repos and scroll down to the README for install instructions and more features.

-X
[Image: open-server.png]

[Image: startmap.png]

[Image: dmflags.png]

[Image: kick-xulb-before.png]
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
01-22-2015, 02:18 AM,
RE: Manage your servers with a few mouse clicks
It looks nice Xulb. I don't have any servers to be able to test it on, but I am sure the linux peeps will like it. It reminds me of the app that Cheney made, but that was windows only. One suggestion, if you just didn't show it in the screen shots would be to include a command line so that peeps could enter in any server command they wanted, unless that is on the command tab that you didn't show contents of. I would like to be able to say that I tested it and it was great, but all I can do is say that it looks like it should fill a void.

Well done M8.
01-22-2015, 03:36 AM,
Re: Manage your servers with a few mouse clicks
That looks really great mr. Xulb! I will try it later today. Can you run more than one instances so you can connect to multiple servers?
@max do you mean GSadmin? Linux was missing something like that, it will sure fill that gap.
* animal takes his hat off to Xulb
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
01-22-2015, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM by animal.)
It doesn't run on python3.2 which is the latest version available on debian wheezy Sad
I am not familiar with backports... have to rtfm a bit...

*edit*
Not available in backports either... so I downloaded it from python.org.
Anyway after the "python3 setup.py install" , I get this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 3, in <module>
from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named 'setuptools'

*edit v1.1*
After some googling, I found out setuptools is some kinda plugin or something for python. Got it installed and got rid of the above error.
Now I'm getting this error:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/setuptools-2.0.2-py3.4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 226, in get_provider
KeyError: 'tests'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "setup.py", line 10, in <module>
dum = resource_string('tests','testArgs.py')
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/setuptools-2.0.2-py3.4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 890, in resource_string
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/setuptools-2.0.2-py3.4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 228, in get_provider
ImportError: No module named 'tests'

Chaingun Server Browser
01-22-2015, 07:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM by Xulb.)
KK Animal-- I will look into it.
I do think PY3.4 is needed. There is also a way to package in setuptools, I will see if I can do that (to help the next guy...)
Keep the issues coming guys
(01-22-2015, 08:28 AM)animal Wrote: It doesn't run on python3.2 which is the latest version available on debian wheezy Sad

*edit*

*edit v1.1*
After some googling, I found out setuptools is some kinda plugin or something for python. Got it installed and got rid of the above error.

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/setuptools-2.0.2-py3.4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 226, in get_provider

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/setuptools-2.0.2-py3.4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 890, in resource_string
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/site-packages/setuptools-2.0.2-py3.4.egg/pkg_resources.py", line 228, in get_provider

Thx Blindy-- there is a console tab, you can enter your commands directly and get the response back from the server on it.
(01-22-2015, 02:18 AM)Blindman Wrote: It looks nice Xulb. I don't have any servers to be able to test it on, but I am sure the linux peeps will like it. It reminds me of the app that Cheney made, but that was windows only. One suggestion, if you just didn't show it in the screen shots would be to include a command line so that peeps could enter in any server command they wanted, unless that is on the command tab that you didn't show contents of. I would like to be able to say that I tested it and it was great, but all I can do is say that it looks like it should fill a void.

Well done M8.

Hey Animal-- yeah, you can enter as many servers as you want in the Connect menu-- they will stick to the menu and you can switch between them. All the windows should update when you switch. You can save the servers with a click and they will come up next time you open the app-
X
(01-22-2015, 03:36 AM)animal Wrote: That looks really great mr. Xulb! I will try it later today. Can you run more than one instances so you can connect to multiple servers?
@max do you mean GSadmin? Linux was missing something like that, it will sure fill that gap.
* animal takes his hat off to Xulb

Animal-- I'll fix that package problem

If you guys want to post any bugs/issues, go ahead and use https://github.com/xulb/aaserver/issues -- then I can keep track and make sure they get fixed- For example, https://github.com/xulb/aaserver/issues/1 (Animal's distro error)
cheers X
01-22-2015, 08:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 08:42 PM by {DO}Rigel.)
That looks pretty awesome, I can't wait to try it! Big Grin Last year I made a web based alternative you might be interested in: http://rcon.ducesoforion.com/

Note: You should be able to change to any map on the server (not just those specified by sv_maplist). Idea You can get a list of those maps with this command: dir maps/*.bsp. You will want to truncate the file extension though when you use the startmap command (don't use map, use startmap). It might be worth filtering out maps based on the mutator, though not necessary because you can play deathmatch on a ctf map, etc.
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
01-23-2015, 12:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2015, 12:49 AM by Xulb.)
OOh- that's nice Rigel, I like it.
In this app, you can actually type into the scrolldown box (it's a "combobox") and select a map that you know is on the server but not in the maplist (at least, that should work)-
X
(01-22-2015, 08:38 PM){DO}Rigel Wrote: That looks pretty awesome, I can't wait to try it! Big Grin Last year I made a web based alternative you might be interested in: http://rcon.ducesoforion.com/

Note: You should be able to change to any map on the server (not just those specified by sv_maplist). Idea You can get a list of those maps with this command: dir maps/*.bsp. You will want to truncate the file extension though when you use the startmap command (don't use map, use startmap). It might be worth filtering out maps based on the mutator, though not necessary because you can play deathmatch on a ctf map, etc.

Animal - try the updated distro - now setup.py install should pull down the very latest setuptools automatically. This may fix this issue, but if not, PM me--
cheers X
(01-22-2015, 08:28 AM)animal Wrote: It doesn't run on python3.2 which is the latest version available on debian wheezy Sad

*edit*

*edit v1.1*

01-23-2015, 06:05 AM,
Ok I got the new version. Now I get this error:

With python 3.4
$ python3.4 setup.py install

File "setup.py", line 1, in <module>
import ez_setup
ImportError: No module named 'ez_setup'

With python 2.7.3
$ python setup.py install

File "setup.py", line 29
""".format(host=host,port=port,pw=pw),file=argf)

Chaingun Server Browser
01-23-2015, 09:35 AM,
So, ez_setup should already be right there in the same directory as setup.py. If it's not let me know.

(So much for plug n play....)
x
(01-23-2015, 06:05 AM)animal Wrote: Ok I got the new version. Now I get this error:

With python 3.4
$ python3.4 setup.py install

File "setup.py", line 1, in <module>
import ez_setup
ImportError: No module named 'ez_setup'

With python 2.7.3
$ python setup.py install

File "setup.py", line 29
""".format(host=host,port=port,pw=pw),file=argf)
01-23-2015, 10:59 AM,
Very nice looking app!