Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beta Maps on MartianBackups.com
10-31-2015, 02:16 AM,
Beta Maps on MartianBackups.com
The martianbackups.com repo throws all the maps and content files in together. This is fine for final releases because you know there will be no changes to any of the files.

When you create a beta map, the *.bsp, *.map, scripts, etc inherit the name of the beta map; for example ctf-mymap-beta.bsp will have an rscript named ctf-mymap-beta.rscript. That's good for distinguishing beta files from files in the full release. Keep in mind though that file names for textures, sounds, and other files like that don't change - they use the same name in the beta as the final release.

A problem exists if you mix beta maps in with full release maps in the repo, particularly if you change a texture or sound or other file like that after the last beta and just before the final release. Knowing what files need to be deleted for the beta and what files need to go with the full release gets to be enormously tedious, painful, and error prone.

This is where the betamaps folder comes into play; there you can install beta maps and all their files. When it comes time to delete them, there is no problem - you remove them completely from the betamaps area, and install the final release in the "arena" area. This takes all the guesswork out and still allows betas to be available for HTTP download.

More About Providing HTTP Access to Beta Maps
It used to be that anything not on the sv_downloadurl would be transferred directly from the game server via UDP. Therefore, most sever admin simply set sv_downloadurl to the martian backups repo to provide HTTP downloads for all legacy and third party content. For example:

Code:
set svdownloadurl "http://martianbackup.com/sv_downloadurl/"

If a server admin wanted to add some beta maps to the server, a choice had to be made; either set sv_downloadurl to the legacy and third party content on martianbackups or set it to their beta maps location. Assuming that most regular players already have most or all of what's on martianbackups it might makes sense to use sv_downloadurl for betas instead.

That's just great until someone has to do a fresh install and doesn't preserver their arena folder first. Now every map they don't have is coming down via UDP. So the server admin had to carefully weight these alternatives. Thankfully that's not true any more.

I believe in the last full release (but it may not have been released yet) the developers added the default behavior for AA to automatically check http://martianbackup.com/sv_downloadurl. It will do this before it even looks at sv_downloadurl. That means now you can use sv_downloadurl for your beta maps or other custom content without losing HTTP on the martianbackups repo.

As of this change, all beta maps on martianbackups should be put in "betamaps" directory. Server admin wanting to make them available can set their sv_downloadurl as follows:
Code:
set sv_downloadurl "http://martianbackup.com/sv_downloadurl/betamaps/"
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
10-31-2015, 02:24 AM,
RE: Beta Maps on MartianBackups.com
I have always maintained that beta maps should never be placed on public servers for all the above reasons.

10-31-2015, 03:05 AM,
Its up to the mapper if they want the beta version to be public or not. With our tiny player base right now, it may be the only way a beta will ever get tested.

Assuming mappers want public access, then it make sense to use the resource provided by AA. Of course they can put it anywhere they like and still use sv_downloadurl. As a server admin, I used to keep betas on webs.com and that worked fine.

In using martianbackup though every server admin can easily run them or not. Its good for mappers and good for admin. Mappers will have to contact someone with upload access to martianbackups. Given than only a few of us have that access, just separating them out should be more than sufficient to keep things clean.
system specs in profile
10-31-2015, 09:31 AM,
We already had this topic once. I like the idea to split the content into different repos. but I would prefer 3 repos: stock (for "old" clients), custom/3rdparty (finished custom maps) and beta (custom maps that are in beta state). And maybe an extra one for legacy maps (so formerly stock maps or "older versions"). Of course it would be perfect when aa checks in those 3 repos itself (like it does at the moment for only one repo).
The downloadrepo became a mess. there are dozen of version of maps that are not played anymore. it might be time to start getting rid of some very old maps, that are not played nor fit to the game anymore. However its time to clean up the repo and you've done a good start rigel Smile I'm curious about the devs opinion.
Xenos, I get your point with beta maps but as Rigel mentioned: There aren't enough player to have any disadvantages. I like to play on my beta maps - particularly on ctf - because i can see the gameplay of it and can compare it with what i had in mind. It was mostly completly different. Same is with "camping" spots or spots that gives unexpected advantages. If you dont want to have some in your map you want to remove them. Trust me: players will find places you have not ever dreamed about.... Imho the only way to improve a map is playing on it under "real conditions". If you ask some friends to play 2 vs 2 ctf on it its a test aswell, but the result will mostly be completly different.
To remain at the httprepo topic: what files does the game download?
I know it downloads textures, meshes, scripts (.rscript, .mus, .fog), sounds and the mapfile itself (.bsp, .lightmap). But I also know it downloads only textures that are listed in the map or meshes, not scripts. e.g. you have a custom texture in a rscript file it wont download it (at least i have this behaviour in mind).
So it should not download the mapsource (.map), botfiles (.tmp, .nod), levelshots.
Have I forgot anything?
My point is that it doesnt make any sense to have those file on the downloadreposty of the game.
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
11-01-2015, 06:04 PM,
(10-31-2015, 09:31 AM)Freaky Wrote: ...
So it should not download the mapsource (.map), botfiles (.tmp, .nod), levelshots.
Have I forgot anything?
My point is that it doesnt make any sense to have those file on the downloadreposty of the game.
Sometimes a mapper lets a lot of time go by before the final release. In some cases, they lose the *.map file and maybe other files. I think its a good idea to keep the source files in the repo (if the mapper agrees) to provide an off site backup as well as make it publicly available.
system specs in profile
11-02-2015, 03:48 PM,
(11-01-2015, 06:04 PM){DO}Rigel Wrote:
(10-31-2015, 09:31 AM)Freaky Wrote: ...
Have I forgot anything?
Sometimes a mapper lets a lot of time go by before the final release. In some cases, they lose the *.map file and maybe other files. I think its a good idea to keep the source files in the repo (if the mapper agrees) to provide an off site backup as well as make it publicly available.
alright! but we used to have aa3rdparty svn (hosted on googlecode) for that purpose. and I guess that xenos is working on an alternative. My thought is that the purpose of THIS repo is offering the CLIENT content to download. having all maps (ideally packed in .zip archives - with sources) on a place to download is imho a other "project". just my cents
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]