Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux SVN Gen3 reorganization!
02-08-2016, 03:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM by stratokaztr.)
Linux SVN Gen3 reorganization!
As of SVN 4863, the Makefiles have been updated for major Gen3 changes. As discussed in the Generation 3 thread, many files have been moved to the arena sub-directory in SVN.

For Linux SVNers, this leads to a minor annoyance. For the normal install, Gen3 maps only are installed in /usr/local/share/alienarena. What this means: When playing online, the "old" maps will not be visible to the program and that will cause them to be downloaded (to /home/username/.local/share/cor-games/arena).

Not to worry, though. Here is what to do: Run the program from your SVN directory. If, for instance, your SVN directory is /home/username/alienarena, in a terminal do cd alienarena ; alienarena. When the program is run in your SVN directory, the program looks at the SVN arena for maps which is where "old" maps are now.

Since the program will also find the new Gen3 maps in the SVN data1 directory, it is not necessary to do a full install that copies maps and other stuff to /usr/local/share/alienarena. To avoid that do make install-exec instead of make install.

So cleanly updating from SVN and running would look something like this:
  • cd alienarena
  • make clean
  • svn update
  • ./configure
  • make
  • sudo make install-exec
  • alienarena
Note that all this should not affect the 3rd party and legacy stuff that was downloaded or that you installed in /home/username/.local/share/cor-games/arena.

Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
02-08-2016, 09:13 AM,
RE: Linux SVN Gen3 reorganization!
(02-08-2016, 03:43 AM)stratokaztr Wrote: Since the program will also find the new Gen3 maps in the SVN data1 directory, it is not necessary to do a full install that copies maps and other stuff to /usr/local/share/alienarena. To avoid that do make install-exec instead of make install.
So we do the make install-exec just this one time, or always from now on?
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
02-08-2016, 10:10 PM,
Until further notice.

At some point the "old" stuff may be packaged like 3rd party stuff.

There is another alternative. Copy "old" maps and stuff to /home/username/.local/share/cor-games/arena. But I figured that would be too annoying for anyone to really want to do.
02-09-2016, 05:28 AM,
And the same goes for dedicated linux servers I suppose.

Chaingun Server Browser
02-09-2016, 07:14 AM,
No. probably not. It is probably best to leave dedicated servers as they are "until further notice". I am sure Irritant does not want Gen3 maps on public servers right now, so updating now could just be a problem. Anyway, since there have been no changes in the server and game code for awhile, there is no good reason to update them now.

I have not really thought about this carefully. Maybe we should get some input from Irritant about this.
02-09-2016, 10:49 AM,
I just updated according to your guidelines. I get the following error:
Code:
Making install-exec in source
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/theman/aa/source'
/bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/bin'
  /usr/bin/install -c alienarena-ded alienarena '/usr/local/bin'
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/alienarena-ded': Permission denied
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/alienarena': Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/theman/aa/source'
make: *** [install-exec-recursive] Error 1

I should have run make install-exec as root which I didn't, so I just copied the binaries from the source folder to the main alienarena folder. The game at least loads.

Chaingun Server Browser
02-09-2016, 12:51 PM,
(02-09-2016, 10:49 AM)animal Wrote: I should have run make install-exec as root which I didn't, so I just copied the binaries from the source folder to the main alienarena folder. The game at least loads.
Oops. Updated instructions to sudo make install-exec.

02-09-2016, 01:34 PM,
(02-09-2016, 12:51 PM)stratokaztr Wrote:
(02-09-2016, 10:49 AM)animal Wrote: I should have run make install-exec as root which I didn't, so I just copied the binaries from the source folder to the main alienarena folder. The game at least loads.
Oops. Updated instructions to sudo make install-exec.
You still left out the alternate install, which I remind you does not apply to linux ded servers

Chaingun Server Browser
02-09-2016, 01:43 PM,
Just to clarify -

Yes, Strat is correct - the Gen 3 maps should not be run on public servers, unless they are passworded and keeping the general public out.
02-09-2016, 02:32 PM,
(02-09-2016, 01:34 PM)animal Wrote: You still left out the alternate install, which I remind you does not apply to linux ded servers
I was trying to keep things simple Big Grin . Anyway, the alternate install is basically what you did when you copied the executables to the top SVN directory. The effect is no different from installing the programs in /usr/local/bin (or anyplace in the PATH) and changing to the top SVN directory to run. (IIRC it used to be different and one did have to copy the programs to the top SVN directory in order to use the SVN data, but we fixed that.)