Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Low fps problem
08-08-2012, 02:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM by rocknroll237.)
Low fps problem
I've got AA: Reloaded and I'm getting some rather low FPS, even locally.

I'm running the game on a very powerful GPU (Asus Ares, basically an ATI 5970) @ 1080p, maxed out with 4xAA and 8xAF (driver side).

I've tried running the game on the lowest possible settings without AA and AF, but my FPS still frequently drops down below 60. Quake 3 games should run easily above 250fps!

What is the problem? Other games run fine...

Also, how can I stop the green flashes popping-up whenever I pick up and object (like a weapon)? It's really annoying me.

Cheers,

Cam

PS Can anyone give me a really low config that I can try just to see if it runs smoothly then?
08-08-2012, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM by Max.)
RE: Low fps problem
You will often find on newer hardware that medium settings can actually be faster than low settings. Or you can start with medium settings and then manually disable some effects for even more performance, as I have done on my setup:
http://pastebin.com/xBajK1DE
This would definitely be worth a shot, but I wouldn't necessarily expect to see too massive a difference. But if you're just getting dips below 60, it might be enough to cure that.

Keep in mind, this is not a Quake 3 game, you're probably not going to get 250fps out of it no matter what you do. The renderer is thoroughly all new. Also remember that Alien Arena is, for the moment, very CPU heavy, so your excellent video card isn't being fully utilized. We're actually moving more work into the GPU for the next version, so that's going to change. I'm running a test version of that code and FPS are around 30% higher.

To stop the green flashes, you can set cl_blend 0 (as I have done in my config.) This also disables red flashes when you are hit, but I find those to be annoying as well.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
08-08-2012, 02:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM by stratokaztr.)
By default, FPS is capped at 60. Change that with cvar, cl_maxfps -- try cl_maxfps 101, in console. In Video Options, medium settings and in Game Options, simple items yes, and maybe turning off other graphics features should give good fps.

The green flashes sound like a bug -- have not heard of that before.

Just FYI, CRX engine is based on Quake 2, but has advanced beyond Quake 3 graphics.

Edit: Or you can just do what Max suggests. Smile (what's with the green flashes, I don't see that on my machine?)
Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
08-08-2012, 03:05 PM,
The green flashes are hard to spot for sure, but they are there. If we don't like them, they could also be disabled server side.
<maxtothemax> and chips
08-08-2012, 04:36 PM,
Max,

Is there a guide anywhere (besides digging through the source code) to what all the fun cvars do? I'm going through a sorted diff of my config and yours, and I'm wondering what some of the more obscure variables actually control.

e.g. gl_glsl_postprocess, gl_mode, gl_modulate...
08-08-2012, 06:24 PM,
I've done some tests and even on medium and with hardly anything turned on, it seems that I get lag only on some parts of maps... Is there a benchmark page on this forum? Do other people get big FPS drops when in certain parts of maps too?
08-08-2012, 06:32 PM,
(08-08-2012, 06:24 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Do other people get big FPS drops when in certain parts of maps too?
Yes. This is a map design issue.
Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM,
Yes I do !!!...Like Strat says it is map design..My fps runs at about 67 -70 mostly but on "Rampage" and
"Zorn2k12" my fps drops like a rock into the teens..also when more ppl join a game my fps will take dives.
But for some odd reason, running on "High" settings for me is better than "Low" settings..I'm not really questioning it
now cuz I'm liking it....Like the others said to maybe drop some of the "extras" and maybe disable some of your processes
and services in your task manager if ur running Win 7...That in itself helps me greatly Big Grin .

PS you can re-enable those processes after gameplay...Or use an app called "Gamebooster"...does the same thing but more efficiently Shy .
[Image: jy42.jpg]
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 (NVIDA)

08-08-2012, 10:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM by Max.)
@Metalhead: That's because on low settings we do per-vertex lighting on the CPU. Per-pixel lighting on the GPU looks better and runs faster on any reasonably recent hardware. Definitely keep glsl shaders and bumpmapping turned on to insure good performance.

@L'Emmerdeur:
* gl_glsl_postprocess includes effects like explosion distortions, pain distortion, dripping rain effects, etc. A good thing to disable if you're having random performance issues during heavy combat.
* gl_mode allows you to choose from a list of preset resolutions. gl_mode 1 is 640x480 for example. gl_mode -1 allows you to use the vid_width and vid_height cvars instead.
* gl_modulate is the map brightness setting.

Might not be a bad idea to add a "description" string to the cvar_t struct.

I used to have similar performance issues on certain maps (aquous and rampage were particularly bad culprits,) but those have smoothed out for me in the last couple of years.
<maxtothemax> and chips
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM by rocknroll237.)
Is there an autoupdater for Alien Arena. A .bat file or something?

Oh and another thing... Sometimes when I apply new video settings, the (in-game) cmd comes up, but then only disappears once I press the esc key. Also, sometimes when I quit AA, the (external) quake cmd prompt takes a while (10 seconds maybe?) to disappear. Are these things normal?