Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LINUX: Network Manager wireless scan every 2 min
06-01-2016, 06:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016, 10:04 AM by {DO}Rigel.)
LINUX: Network Manager wireless scan every 2 min
I'm using Linux Mint (KDE) 17.3 with a wireless adapter connection, and every 2 min my netgraph shows a very jagged choppy spot which lasts for around 10 seconds (this only happens for me on wireless). During this bad spot the game performance is really poor - which is expected; that's what netgraph is showing. Huh

Some time ago I mentioned this to MaxToTheMax and he suggested it might be the NetworkManager doing a scan for new wireless networks, etc. (among other ideas as well). I had it on my todo list to try to disable that to see if there would be an improvement, but I just never got around to it. Blush

Well, I've gotten around to it. Yep, Max was right! Big Grin Cool

By disabling NetworkManager while I'm playing, it stops happening. Here is how I disabled it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2163994). I used the second option in that thread:

Code:
sudo killall -STOP NetworkManager # stop NetworkManager running and auto-scanning
# run AA here

sudo killall -CONT NetworkManager # let NetworkManager run again

This works! I thought this might help other folks (if just a little bit) for those of you who are forced to use a wireless adapter and have an insensitive NetworkManager that doesn't care if you get pwned every 2 min. Dodgy

What is netgraph? Idea

Take a look; at the game console turn it on with this:
Code:
set netgraph 1

Now when you play the game you will see the netgraph at the bottom of your screen. Turn it off again with this:
Code:
set netgraph 0
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
06-01-2016, 09:21 AM,
RE: LINUX: Network Manager wireless scan every 2 min
Thanks Rigel, gonna sticky this one!