Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question about sidestep/dodge
08-08-2012, 08:10 PM,
Question about sidestep/dodge
Hi,

I frequently find myself in a heated contest and accidentally dodge instead of simply moving left. I use my right hand keypad to move around and aim/shoot left with the mouse, so I have kind of a weird set up. But the dodging thing bugs me, because I dodge myself off into space or into lava sometimes when all I want to do is move/strafe left or right. You should hear me cussing during Terminal City CTF.... Big Grin

So I have two questions -

One - is there a way to either disable dodging (which I never use although maybe I should and I would not get fragged so often) or to bind it to different keys than the movement keys (which might be awkward for most players though)

Two - barring that there is a way in the current config, is this a config feature that might be considered, or perhaps a way to tune the keystroke sensitivity such that a longer or shorter interval between keystrokes would trigger a sidestep?

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas -

Svejk
Humbly report, sir...

[Image: svejk.jpg]

http://boomermooglelove.me.uk/
08-08-2012, 11:16 PM,
RE: Question about sidestep/dodge
That bug ought to have been fixed in the more recent versions of the game.

Dodging is server-side, it cannot be disabled or adjusted on the client.

You should learn to use it and love it, it's a great way of getting up to speed quickly.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
08-08-2012, 11:42 PM,
Max is correct, that was a bug that is now fixed in 7.60, but it is serverside, so older servers still have the issue.
08-08-2012, 11:43 PM,
Running under XWindows on Linux, I find that turning off key repeat cuts down on unintended dodging. In a terminal window: xset r off before launching Alien Arena; then xset r on after exiting Alien Arena. Hope to figure out what is happening there one of these days, and fix it. The same does not happen on Windows.
Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
08-09-2012, 11:15 AM,
Thanks for your replies, guys - that makes sense. I do run Linux so I'll try that xset option and see if it helps too. Max is right, I need to try to incorporate dodging more into my game - as long as it doesn't dodge me into the deep beyond!
Humbly report, sir...

[Image: svejk.jpg]

http://boomermooglelove.me.uk/