Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Arena: Warriors of Mars
08-09-2016, 06:23 PM,
Alien Arena: Warriors of Mars
I have completed the screenshot collection of the game at long last: http://red.planetarena.org/media.html (make sure to refresh your browser as many, many images were updated).

Next I will be creating a 30 second 1080p trailer. This will be used extensively, so I'm putting some serious effort into this one.

I will be creating a number of promotional logos and images crafted from these screenshots and trailer. At the moment, this is just to update you on the progress of this, there is so, so much to do and think about with this game just yet. But, having these tools will be useful for getting the game on Steam if we choose to go the Greenlight route, as well as for the kickstarter campaign that I created.

Basically I'm coming up for a breath from development for a change of pace, and then will dive back into finishing up the content for the game(3 ctf maps yet, and 1 more tactical map), as well as polishing and finishing a number of other things.
08-12-2016, 08:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM by Irritant.)
RE: Alien Arena: Warriors of Mars
I redid the trailer, and followed the lead of Quake Champions to a degree. Of course I used the "Alien Arena" song (Warmachine) that has always gotten such good response - and mostly because it's such a high energy song. I experimented with some others, but fell back to this, given how long it's been that anyone has seen or cared about the game really. Similar to the old trailer, it begins with a buildup of pans through various levels - this time I got very smooth ones(really tough to do without a demo editor!!). There is some words about the game, what it's about, and then the music kicks in and the action starts. In the past I worried too much about showing off effects and not enough about action, so much like the QC video, I go full in with the frags, very short clips like the QC vid, non-stop pace, starting with the chaingun mowing down stuff. It's very much a frag video at this stage, with rocket jumps, air twists, some jet pack action, couple of got stabbed in the back by a violator moments. The whole thing is around 60 seconds, much shorter and action packed than my previous efforts. It's also in 1080p HD, unlike the 720p versions of the past. The other difference is much of this is synced up with the music, for a more fluid feel. Since I learned slow-mo, there's a few slo-mo back to speed up spots in the vid, like one, somewhat subtle rocket jump, goes into slo-mo in the air, then as I come back down to rain hell it speeds back up. Also came up with a clever idea to do a stopped in mid-action pan Big Grin Just like in the movies, lol.

Please don't link or copy this anywhere as of yet. For starters, it's still undergoing some refinements, and also we are not close to release yet, and want to keep it fairly fresh for when we do actually start building up press/hype for the game.

Enjoy Smile

http://red.planetarena.org/media.html
08-13-2016, 12:34 PM,
Have another version, but haven't uploaded it. Playing around with sounds and effects some more with Vegas Pro. Definitely worth the 1k it cost me to have this software Big Grin

Played it for my hardcore gamer stepdaughter and her even more hardcore gamer boyfriend(both big into League of Legends competitively, and he is a former Quake Live player). I asked for honesty, and got it. Positives: Loved the song(told yallz that!). Great graphics and action, very impressed with that aspect. Negatives: Didn't care for the "powerful" "fast" "pure" text - didn't understand it, and thought it needed sounds when it appeared and some kind of movement or effects. So I'm working on that.

Both said even though I would show them how to install it for free, that they would pay to have it on Steam. They just feel like it's easier, and to have all of their games and stats in one spot. They would like to see Steam achievements and milestones. Something to definitely consider. Pretty much stuff I'd already known by researching on the net other games.

These two, at age 18, are the exact demographic I am targeting. Many people will be seeing and hearing of this game for the first time. The advantage this game, and how we promote it are that we are able to cultivate and polish over 10 years of development and trial and error, and then because of such a long time since the last release - pretty much present it as something new. So luckily for me, and many of us here, we have access to teenagers and their very important thoughts on the matter. I can say this, talking to them, there is definitely interest in the arena shooter starting to come back. A whole new generation is getting exposed for the first time to it all, and what was great in 1997-2006 is going to be great again - but of course it needs modern touches.

So for now, I feel pretty good about the media, and that we are armed a bit. Just keep it amongst ourselves for now.
08-16-2016, 10:10 AM,
Recompiled the trailer, changed a few minor things. Got the seal of approval from the kids Big Grin
08-19-2016, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 01:57 PM by [SiN]trickybilly.)
(08-16-2016, 10:10 AM)Irritant Wrote: Recompiled the trailer, changed a few minor things. Got the seal of approval from the kids Big Grin
Shark at 0:23? Martiancyborg levitating at 0:29
08-19-2016, 04:17 PM,
Yes to both Smile

Actually the Cyborg is in a stop motion pan sequence.
01-30-2017, 03:49 PM,
Going to tweak the trailer soon, with some minor changes thanks to suggestions made, largely with the fonts/font size/spelling errors and maybe a couple more slowdown/speedup pieces as long as it doesn't mess up the ones I already have in there.

I may also do a really short, say 15 second trailer-teaser with the animated version of the Alien Force powerup in action Big Grin
02-17-2017, 12:50 PM,
Redid the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ker-0kRoMTM

Changed a few things with fonts, wording. Replaced the two stop motion bits with some wicked cool Alien Force sequences, including having the spider jump right at the viewer just before transitioning into the "action" section.

Gonna make a little 10 second or so teaser with those Alien Force sequences, plus one other Alien Force capture I have.

Screenshot section got updated too with a few new ones.
04-04-2017, 04:28 PM,
So everyone has access, here are some base promotional images people can use to construct stuff.

[Image: martian_mv.jpg]

[Image: aaWOMALL.jpg]
04-05-2017, 08:34 PM,
That's Bad**$, John!