Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumping Around
01-07-2017, 05:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 05:54 PM by Smilecythe.)
Jumping Around

Jumping Around is my mini series consisting of various games. The content is simple: I play a game to perform trickjumping and freerunning, trying to portray each game's unique and advanced techniques to the best of my abilities. This is my Alien Arena episode, I hope the tricks aren't too nooby for Alien Arena standards. It was overall a very fun learning experience and I really like the visual design of the maps and models.

Only critic I have for your game thus far is how cramped most of the levels are and how badly some areas are player-clipped on top of that. In general, there were many small pieces sticking out of walls, floors and ceilings that might as well been player clipped. I recall bumping into a <1 unit thin sticker/trash sprite on the floor at Goregrinder. Although that's probably got more to do with some stepheight setting than clipping though. If you're still into improving the defaults maps, I'd put that up in the list!

Rest of my series can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...wwl5nd9yun
01-07-2017, 06:03 PM,
RE: Jumping Around
Very nice! I haven't seen most of these jumps before.
01-07-2017, 06:58 PM,
Nice video Smilecythe, great quality.

I found a similar video from mamabear on youtube, i think the video fits this topic too.
She made a video with some of vista's demos, also some nice jumps i haven't seen before.

01-07-2017, 08:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 08:24 PM by Smilecythe.)
Thanks for the vid! I had hard time finding trick jumps references in Youtube/anywhere.

I'm curious if there's benefit in sideways dodging or if it's just Vista's preference. It might be better for inverted strafe jumping style and it seems like that's what he did in couple of the clips. Inverted style is basically using only A/D instead of A/D+W for strafe jumping which essentially looks like regular strafe jumping inverted. Closest examples for different styles I can give atm is from Quake 2:

01-08-2017, 05:27 AM,
Amazing! I didn't even think these tricks are possible!
Nice vids guys
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
01-08-2017, 06:06 AM,
OMG, that is amazing!

I feel like such a noob again!
Very impressive!
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
01-08-2017, 11:58 AM,
(01-07-2017, 05:53 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Only critic I have for your game thus far is how cramped most of the levels are and how badly some areas are player-clipped on top of that. In general, there were many small pieces sticking out of walls, floors and ceilings that might as well been player clipped. I recall bumping into a <1 unit thin sticker/trash sprite on the floor at Goregrinder. Although that's probably got more to do with some stepheight setting than clipping though. If you're still into improving the defaults maps, I'd put that up in the list!
Terrific video!

The maps in the new release greatly address the issue of player clipping, especially the details on the walls and floors. It's a vastly smoother experience now. Also, only the maps with the best flow and layouts were retained(and all of them were practically rebuilt from the ground up).

Thanks again for making the video, this is awesome Big Grin
01-08-2017, 03:34 PM,
(01-08-2017, 11:58 AM)Irritant Wrote: The maps in the new release greatly address the issue of player clipping, especially the details on the walls and floors. It's a vastly smoother experience now. Also, only the maps with the best flow and layouts were retained(and all of them were practically rebuilt from the ground up).
That's nice to hear Smile
01-09-2017, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM by berycz.)
damn, that's cool Smile

edit: the one from mamabear is better Smile I have to try some of them in terminal and titan, those were cool.. the double rocket jump for example Smile
czech web about Alien Arena http://aa.berycz.net/ and my "blog" about programming in python and traveling http://www.berycz.net/
01-09-2017, 03:17 PM,
Great ! damn skill Smile