Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spare time fun :)
05-26-2017, 03:16 PM,
Spare time fun :)
Not that I have much...but I had a little while back created a simple OpenGL app to render IQM models using the latest shader techniques. The idea was to create a small game engine using C++ classes and Glut/Glew, basically to refresh and hone some coding skills. Eventually, the next step was to port to Android/iOS. With that in mind, I started creating a mindless little game where piranhas swim around and the player tries to pick up stuff without being eaten. Kind of underwater Pac-Man. Well, learning a lot, and I've gotten it to where it's rendering a school of stationary fish, and you can move around with your mouse and keyboard.

[Image: model_editor.jpg]

[Image: pw_ss1.jpg]

Been mucking around with it while waiting for AA levels to compile Big Grin
05-26-2017, 05:02 PM,
RE: Spare time fun :)
Let's have a few of these in the water...
Instead of where we have acid or other fun fluids to kill you...

(Idea by [SiN]BonfireJr)
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
05-26-2017, 05:57 PM,
Haha, nice. Yeah, I could make a lower poly version of it(teeth area is a lot of polys that could be redone).
05-26-2017, 10:59 PM,
those things always scared the **** out of me!
nicely done :-)
05-27-2017, 01:26 AM,
You could also enable threaded qrad3 to get those compile times down. Smile I think it's just ifdefed out for windows.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
05-30-2017, 11:50 AM,
I worked quite a bit on this over the rainy holiday weekend, and while waiting for my lightmap for purgatory to compile. I actually have AI in it now, the fish wander around, chase after you and attack. It's eerie how some of the code is starting to resemble Quake based stuff - not sure if it's just "how it's done" kinda thing, or if it's subconcious on my part. I tried to make it cleaner, and slightly different. It's just pretty simple, not online or anything, and no real collision detection other than proximity to other entities and the bounds of the world. The game is basically Pac-Man in the water. Pieces of meat fall from the sky and sink slowly down. Your goal is to eat as much meat as possible, and avoid the piranhas(like the ghosts in Pac-Man). The more meat you eat, eventually you "level up" and more piranhas will spawn, and move faster, etc. The piranhas also will eat the meat, so you are in competition with them and there will be a little scoreboard. It's really mindless as hell(perfect Android/iOS app, right?). The only controls are aim your mouse, press left for forward, right for back, and go in that direction. On the phone it'll be similar, but moving your finger for direction, and moving forward while touching.

The code is all c++, class-based, very simple and modular. Could actually be a pretty good basic game engine for people to use. Ok, trying not to let it be a distraction from the task at hand, lol.
06-08-2017, 12:35 PM,
Hey guys/gals - there is a playable version of this game(destop version) at http://red.planetarena.org/dev/frenzy.zip

It includes the source code too. It's a very clean little, class based game engine but it's also got some cool shader stuff. It's really just an early pre-alpha of a game that I intend to eventually release as a mobile app on Google Play. Not much too it - just eat meat before you get eaten, and before the piranhas get more than 100 points by eating meat themselves. Eat a skull to get a temporary boost in speed.
06-08-2017, 04:51 PM,
Its not working on my Windows vista 32 bit.
06-08-2017, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2017, 05:47 PM by Freaky.)
Nice work. I think its a good idea on mobile phones. It should be a good experience to use the acceleration sensors - just like on some jump and run or racing games. You can expand the game in so many ways. Keep it up.

Its working on my system. But I have 2 monitors. The game is shown on the left one. When I want to turn right and move the mouse accordingly to the right side the mouse is leaving the window. This does not happen every time. Mostly its working fine, but after several rotations the mouse leaves the window. This should not happen.
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
06-08-2017, 06:49 PM,
(06-08-2017, 04:51 PM)Izaias Wrote: Its not working on my Windows vista 32 bit.

Yeah, it's a 64 bit program.