Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention: All Server Ops
09-05-2017, 03:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM by DeathRay.)
Attention: All Server Ops
I could not find the previous post about running Gen 3 servers, but there are obviously known by now major changes that are causing some issues.

If you are currently running and older, pre-Gen 3 server, you now must do one of 3 things in order to keep it running:

1.  If you're using linux, update to revision 4989 and edit the following line(481) in the sv_main.c, then recompile.

Code:
 Netchan_OutOfBandPrint (NS_SERVER, adr, "print\nServer is protocol version %s\n", PROTOCOL_VERSION);

to

Code:
Netchan_OutOfBandPrint (NS_SERVER, adr, "print\nServer is protocol version %i\n", PROTOCOL_VERSION);

2.  If you're running Windows, update to revision 4989, and then overwrite alienarena.exe with this file: http://red.planetarena.org/dev/legacy_se...narena.exe

3.  Update your server to Generation 3 - no need to password these now, as we have bumped the protocol version.  Old clients will no longer be able to connect.  Also, note, if you're client is running Generation 3, you can no longer connect to old servers.  If you wish to do that, you must revert to revision 5441 - and you will not be able to connect to current Gen

If you're running a Gen 3 server, it's important to update this very frequently, daily in fact at this time.  Many changes are forthcoming that will necessitate this.  Do not run old versions of stock maps on the server, as the new maps are being renamed to use the original names.
09-05-2017, 04:07 PM,
RE: Attention: All Server Ops
In which file is the code to be changed?

Do the clients (no matter if they are gen2 or gen3) show all the servers or just the ones they are able to connect to? If not we should come up with a naming scheme that helps users to know to which servers they can connect to. But I think the best option is for the client to determine which servers are connectable.
The field for the server name is quite limited to add extra text.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
09-05-2017, 04:19 PM,
(09-05-2017, 04:07 PM)animal Wrote: In which file is the code to be changed?

Do the clients (no matter if they are gen2 or gen3) show all the servers or just the ones they are able to connect to? If not we should come up with a naming scheme that helps users to know to which servers they can connect to. But I think the best option is for the client to determine which servers are connectable.
The field for the server name is quite limited to add extra text.

Oops, it's in sv_main.c

For now it's showing all of the servers, but I'm going to have it only show servers of this protocol in the next update.  So there is no need to name anything differently. 

Gen 2 will show all, but that's desired - we want people to update, and the amount of Gen 2 clients will be miniscule by comparison.
09-05-2017, 05:17 PM,
Ok I did the first option. I was already on revision 4989, edited the file recompiled and copied the source/alienarena-ded file to the main dir. It's been a while since I did any changes to the server and if I recall correctly, there is no alt install anymore for linux? And if so, should I have also done a make install?

Will there be any changes in the new version affecting the server code for linux? Do I update as I updated until now, or are there some steps to take before updating to gen 3?

Chaingun Server Browser
09-06-2017, 01:01 PM,
I tried to connect to animals server, they still crash when I connect with the svn rev 5455.
09-06-2017, 01:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM by animal.)
(09-06-2017, 01:01 PM)Dondo Wrote: I tried to connect to animals server, they still crash when I connect with the svn rev 5455.

Maybe I need to do something else?

BTW I'm running 5375 on my client and have no issues connecting.

Chaingun Server Browser
09-06-2017, 01:42 PM,
(09-06-2017, 01:18 PM)animal Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 01:01 PM)Dondo Wrote: I tried to connect to animals server, they still crash when I connect with the svn rev 5455.

Yeah, you shouldn't.  Older clients connecting to older servers are no issue.  You'd have an issue with a new client connecting to your server if your server binary isn't updated with the fix.
09-06-2017, 06:10 PM,
(09-06-2017, 01:42 PM)Irritant Wrote:

Yeah, you shouldn't.  Older clients connecting to older servers are no issue.  You'd have an issue with a new client connecting to your server if your server binary isn't updated with the fix.

I did the first option in the first post in the thread. So I guess the binary is updated with the fix

Chaingun Server Browser
09-06-2017, 06:19 PM,
(09-06-2017, 06:10 PM)animal Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 01:42 PM)Irritant Wrote:

I did the first option in the first post in the thread. So I guess the binary is updated with the fix

You would have to verify the date of the binary that's actually being run to know for sure.
09-06-2017, 08:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 08:15 PM by DeathRay.)
At this point though, I would strongly suggest that all active community members update their clients AND servers to the latest SVN. The beta will be out shortly, and it's imperative that things get tested.  If you have modified sv_main.c, you'll need to delete that file prior to updating.

The maps on servers for the beta should be ONLY the following:

Dm-Deathray2k16
Dm-Dynamo2k16
Dm-Extermination2k15
Dm-Wasteland
Dm-Turbo2k15
Dm-Bloodfactory2k15

Ctf-Cryogenic2k16
Ctf-Frost2k15

Tac-Extermination2k15