Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Chaos
09-23-2017, 11:11 AM,
Upgrade Chaos
Some (expected) griping in the CTF ranks yesterday as a very popular server was converted. Understandable, as there are only 2 CTF beta maps.......
Idea
It's UBER easy to have 2 installs of AA. They just need a different AA folder. I actually have the beta on SVN, and the last release in a separate folder. (so I can go either way :-P)

the PROBLEM is that all the old CTF servers with the zillions of maps are gone. I worry about our loyal ctf base. Is it possible for someone to put up an old CTF server just to keep them happy until we get this thing going full guns? (and get more maps)
I can't, seeing as I run my servers and games from my PC....
or not
lol
09-23-2017, 12:12 PM,
RE: Upgrade Chaos
I agree about the few maps, but the new version has to be tested. So with a gen 2 CTF server also alive there would be no testing. Besides, this can maybe be good for DM.

Oh and about the 2 installs of AA, try it on a linux dedicated server. The alternate install in linux is no longer supported. At least not until further notice.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
09-23-2017, 12:26 PM,
oh, I can't argue.....but the CTF game community has kept the game alive for a few years.
eddie and others were not thrilled in IRC yesterday.
just throwin it out there
me and vaany been testin almost every day
09-23-2017, 01:24 PM,
at the end nobody even knows wich servers are running on G3 and wich on G2

players wanna join with G2 version into a server wich has been G2 before they getting errors and dont know what to do.

servers should finaly show at wich version they are

so far G3 is still there to test nobody of the admins should forget there still G2 servers needed till G3 is fix
No, Signature needed tho?!
09-23-2017, 01:34 PM,
Old clients show all servers. New clients show only new servers.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
09-23-2017, 06:13 PM,
Guys, keep it simple.
Add "G3" to your G3 servername
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
09-23-2017, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2017, 07:23 PM by xenos.)
(09-23-2017, 12:12 PM)animal Wrote: I agree about the few maps, but the new version has to be tested. So with a gen 2 CTF server also alive there would be no testing. Besides, this can maybe be good for DM.

Oh and about the 2 installs of AA, try it on a linux dedicated server. The alternate install in linux is no longer supported. At least not until further notice.

The alternate install was really just a script that copied source/alienarena and source/alienarena-ded to the top level of your alienarena svn.

You can in fact have two copies of alien arena, just remember after building each that the above steps need to be done manually.

09-24-2017, 01:05 PM,
There are no "errors" when a G2 client tries to join a G3 server - there are notifications that they do not have the same protocol. This is not "errors".

At some point G2 players will need to update to G3 if they want to move forward. As developers we have to move forward, and it might be a little bit of a transition period, but it's part of moving the game foward.

As mentioned, G3 clients cannot see G2 servers, so that is not an issue.
09-24-2017, 01:38 PM,
(09-23-2017, 12:12 PM)animal Wrote: The alternate install in linux is no longer supported. At least not until further notice.

Alternate install is fully supported. You just have to do it manually now.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
09-28-2017, 05:45 PM,
(09-23-2017, 01:24 PM)vista Wrote: at the end nobody even knows wich servers are running on G3 and wich on G2

players wanna join with G2 version into a server wich has been G2 before they getting errors and dont know what to do.

servers should finaly show at wich version they are

so far G3 is still there to test nobody of the admins should forget there still G2 servers needed till G3 is fix

I could not agree more !
While the game needs to develop over time and new versions have to be tested and tried the need to keep existing prduction version going wheile testing new versions on "safe areas" is essential. I.e. the separation between testing new versions and maps from general production.

Now it seems mpst server owners jumo the badwagoon and move servers to beta WOM turning most of AA into a big beta test,
while alot of plkayers enter as usual and find themself in a beta test. Experiencing something totally dufferent with limited maps available and when trying to coupe with it find themself in a discussion about techinical stuff more related to beta testing then just enjoying the game.

Therefore I strongly agree with Vista in the need to keep G2 runnning while testing G3 (WOM I assume) in dedicated beta servers,
otherwise some part of the faithful community (that is not very big in AA) will be turned off and  risk to just not participate in the game.

I have read some threads from developers working hard to carefullt test and try a hopefullt exciting new version of aa,
and comclude they want to carefully test and try in beta as expected (including maps) before more gereral release. This goes for both technical aspects and community acceptan ce aspects. The problem seems to be the rush to convert most of "production" gameservers to WOM beta right away (alongside WOM beta server) crating a unwanted disruption in the ciommunity.

I put forward the idea that a deployment porocess for a new version vis-a-vi the community is best done on separate servers dedicated to beta test (clint / server and maps for new version), those who are courious can be ecouraged to enter knowing it is a new version in beta and expect that and hopefully contribute back experiences and identified problems. As it matures technically and gets approval from communit it will go in production more boradly across hosters of gameservers.

The risk now from what i have seen is that ppl enter to play and gets turned off since most severs rapidly converted to WOM and the game they love is not really there to play. The few others usually turning up is not there either because they experience the same things. . And yes, the CTF game have been a key driver keeping ppl in aa over the last years (including myself) so a rusch to WOM on popular CTF servers in general production can hit the game populations in a negative way (and already has from what I learned directly from some of the regular suspects that been there over the years).

A frustrated Guz ....