Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Chaos
09-28-2017, 06:17 PM,
RE: Upgrade Chaos
The problem is, and you mentioned it, is that the AA community is very small at the moment. With people reluctant to update to the beta, or use SVN to stay current, the game was just not getting tested very much at all.

It's a transition period that is necessary, and it won't last very long. The new version of the game will be coming out in October if all goes well here.

I understand the importance of CTF. Perhaps two maps is not enough, and now that the internal game workings seem to be more honed over the past couple of weeks, I may be inclined to add a third CTF map to the beta - but only one more. That is my compromise, I'm not entirely happy about it, but will try to address the concerns of the community that is upset at the moment about CTF.

I had originally intended to release the beta publicly two weeks ago, and as you can see, that didn't happen because of the internal testing here within the community that exposed a number of bugs that needed to be fixed. Imagine how poorly people outside of the community would have reacted had these bugs been there when they got their first look at the game...it might have been something we could not have recovered from, reputation-wise.

At some point, G2 will be entirely dead, not long from now. That's just reality, so the importance of getting onboard with G3 cannot be stressed enough.
09-29-2017, 01:24 PM,
Thank you Irritant.
You confirm what I already knew, you want to proper betatest and roll out in a careful manner.

And you also confirm that the G2 servers for general gameplay with loads of maps etc is needed up and running alongside beta testing of the new version before rollout, not to loose or turn off core community while the beta proceed and mature.

I apprecieate the work to move AA forward and the approach to troughtly beta test all aspects including maps.

And I am still convinced the best for AA overall in such transition periods is the have dedicated beta test servers while the general production servers are on current version until new version is matured and tested exactly in the way you describe - and also get a natural by-in from community.

So problem still is the total rush among server hosters (not development and testing) to swap to WOM beta right away during beta period,
I am conviced this is a misstake for the general game population and AA at large that creates unnedded frustrations,
can even be negative for testing the new beta if it negativley impacts numer of players in AA cummunity logging every day in to play some.

If I had the skills I would set up and run a G2 server myself with CTF and all the maps just to have the option available for all ...

Thank you for your efforts to lift AA technology and game !
09-29-2017, 11:33 PM,
Listen, Guz, I'm in no hurry to switch. Xulbia is "Old Skool"!

For clan and country
X
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
10-04-2017, 03:18 PM,
please help me how we play??? gen2 gen 3 server

I no longer find any player

what version do everyone use ??
please
the law is equal for all, in my country is one hope
[Image: Seclan.jpg]

10-04-2017, 03:27 PM,
There few players. And Wednesdays are slow for AA. If you are running the beta or the latest svn, in the in game server list you see only Gen 3 servers.
If you are using version 7.66 or an svn revision up to 4989 you see all servers but can connect to the old ones only. I asked the server admins to add a gen 2 tag in the server name so we can avoid this confusion.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
10-04-2017, 03:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 03:36 PM by Devil.)
thank you very much animal
but I want to understand the players what version they use, since in two weeks on generation servers 3 I only met you and jar el
is it that I connect in wrong moments ??? It seemed to me that the servers were more crowded than before the beta version, but that's my impression

10-04-2017, 03:43 PM,
Players are free to use any version they want. Most have both versions installed and help beta testing.
You probably don't see other players due to bad timing maybe. But most players usually show up roughly between 20:00-00:00 GMT.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
10-04-2017, 03:45 PM,
I hardly played since the BBM servers got updated, only for some beta testing because there were only two maps and almost no players.
I tried playing with Gen2 on Xulbia but didn't have the (correct) maps, and it tried to download via UDP, once that is finished the game is over already.
I don't understand why the UDP protocol is still used at all. It's not easy to switch between the two versions.
I used to play every day. I hope this is possible again soon.
10-04-2017, 03:47 PM,
I just wish everyone would forget about Gen 2 and move to Gen 3, and have a little patience. Seriously.
10-04-2017, 03:52 PM,
(10-04-2017, 03:43 PM)animal Wrote: Players are free to use any version they want. Most have both versions installed and help beta testing.
You probably don't see other players due to bad timing maybe. But most players usually show up roughly between 20:00-00:00 GMT.

thank you probably is a case that I find the empty servers, so keep on keeping the current version. thanks again animal
but there is a way to have both versions of AA installed on linux ??