Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance tweaks
09-25-2017, 03:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 03:47 PM by jarhead.)
Performance tweaks
Not sure whether this is a bug report. But we noticed the performance of the upgraded server BBM CTF insta/rockets with the new tickrate (40) and new maps (ctf-cryogenic and ctf-frost) is a bit worse than before. It's not as smooth as it used to be. Fps is not very low (I think around 40, previously easily over 60) but still it seems I don't see every frame.
I think some performance tweaks are needed to improve it.
09-25-2017, 04:00 PM,
RE: Performance tweaks
Are you saying the performance degraded going from a tickrate of 10 to 40?

The rendering framerate shouldn't really be affected, they are asynchronous. It is possible perhaps, on some systems that performance could be lowered at higher tickrates simply because you're processing 4x as much netdata as previously, but usually the bottleneck is going to be from the renderer.

Try testing on my WOM servers. This might be an issue with the system those servers are on. If you're losing frames, that to me suggests something wrong on the server's end. I've not noticed anything like this at all testing on the WOM servers.
09-25-2017, 04:21 PM,
I can't say it's just because of the tickrate.
It's not just me but also a few other people that were playing in that server, they mention the same thing.
09-25-2017, 04:40 PM,
Are they comparing framerates between the old maps and new?

Or are they saying that something changed when Animal set the tickrate to 40?

Again, I would compare to the WOM servers.
09-25-2017, 05:39 PM,
We did some tests, tickrate 10 was definitely a lot smoother than 40, for multiple people.
But when it was set at 60, I also liked it...does it make sense?
09-25-2017, 05:43 PM,
As for frame rates I get 60. Vsync enabled and maxfps set to 60 also. I get 60 fps with gen2 and gen3. There are no framerate drops at all, (at least thats what I see in the lower right corner), but motion is jerky, it seems as it is missing frames, or at least not as smooth as gen2. Im running on a 7700k and a gtx1060 6b and 16gb ram, so there is no bottleneck on my system. I fiddled with the tickrate a bit with Jarhead best results were with tickrate 10 and 60. Although at 60 I did see some jerkiness, but Jar said it was ok for him. At 10 it was very smooth. I also had 1 server running on the VPS while I was performing these tests just to rule out server performance. For statistics, on gen 2 my server was idling at 5% CPU usage with 5 server running. Now with gen 3 it idles at 23-25% with 6 servers running.

I remember some things that needed to be changed in the code when the tickrate went to 40. Health also degenerates too fast when camping at that tickrate, so fast you don't have time to react and move and you're dead. Also in the scoreboard the ping times of the players are renewed very fast. Maybe with the 40 tickrate the engine does 4 times as more checks than are needed and thus suffers in performance.

And another thing, What is the default value for rate, the maximum number of bytes that the server should send to the client? And up to how many bytes does the server actually send? I also fiddled with that setting yesterday with Dondo and really couldn't see a difference.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
09-25-2017, 05:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 05:56 PM by jarhead.)
The tickrate of 60 felt very responsive, with moving and shooting. And nearly as smooth as tickrate 10.
I think when it went back to 10, it was harder to hit people, as I had before the upgrade.
09-25-2017, 06:02 PM,
60 was better than 40, but not as smooth as 10. Maybe because it was in sync with the frame rate we use.
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
09-25-2017, 06:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 06:23 PM by DeathRay.)
Please test and compare between different servers, such as the WOM servers. This is how you can easily track down whether the issue is with the game code, or the rendering code, or an issue outside of the game.
09-25-2017, 06:29 PM,
Also, test the maps locally. Set sv_tickrate to 40, go to Host Server and run a local game. See if it is different than playing over a network. These are the kind of logical tests that need comparing to see what is the root cause of the issues.