Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance tweaks
09-25-2017, 07:32 PM,
RE: Performance tweaks
I just tested on Animal's server, CTF, on Cryogenic, tickrate was at 40.

By myself, the server felt very smooth. No framerate drops, I was probably between 75 and 200 throughout. My ping was 122. Didn't feel any "Lost frames" or any kind of network issues. By the way, you should all have your netgraph on when playing in order to determine any lagginess being client vs server.

I then jumped on the WOM CTF server, where my ping is 28. Still smooth, almost couldn't tell any difference at all. I switched to Frost, where it's a more taxing level. I didn't notice anything that was network related, though my framerates got as low as 50 in the outdoor areas at times. That is to be expected in a very open, large, terrain map. Overall it still felt smooth and no lag of any kind at all. I'm using a Windows client.

I got on NC's server, which is at 10, performance in terms of framerates was identical to that of the WOM server at 40. No difference in framerates at all. Didn't feel appreciably smoother, other than when you come to a stop you can see a very slight difference in how the weapon bob comes to a standstill(yes, I'm going to try and smooth that out, if possible - may not be).

In none of the tests was there anything resembling "lost frames", or overt lagginess of any kind, be it network or client side.

So, what really needs to be tested, is how the server responds with a larger group of players. If it changes, gets laggy, weird, jittery, and lots of red/yellow on the netgraph, then the bottom line is that you need to lower the server tickrate because something hardware related cannot handle what the game is sending, or how hard the game server is running.

Now maybe we can do something about how much data is being sent, but I'm going to be honest here, we don't send THAT much really compared to other games at all, so there is not much room for paring down what we do. Scoreboard updates only occur when someone is actually veiwing them, and that's not much data at all to begin with. I seriously doubt we can lessen the data flow any more than it is, which is pretty bare bones. It's barely any more than the original Q2 sent. If it's running rough at 40, set it down to 20, or 10. The difference between 10 and 20 is still pretty significant, in terms of accuracy and responsiveness. Something like 60 should be reserved for running out of a professional data center, for the most part.
09-26-2017, 05:02 PM,
I just played in BBM CTF insta/rockets in ctf-frost, tickrate was 10. It felt laggy, fps was quite low, around 40 in the open area.
And it was also hard to hit Devil (as sometimes before the upgrade with this tickrate). It seems it's not just the tickrate.
09-26-2017, 05:29 PM,
(09-26-2017, 05:02 PM)jarhead Wrote: I just played in BBM CTF insta/rockets in ctf-frost, tickrate was 10. It felt laggy, fps was quite low, around 40 in the open area.
And it was also hard to hit Devil (as sometimes before the upgrade with this tickrate). It seems it's not just the tickrate.

That is definitely a rendering performance issue then.  You can either upgrade your video card(not sure your current specs) or turn down the effects in the game, or perhaps you have a driver setting causing low fps.  That's lower FPS than I get using a 2.67 ghz dual core with an Nvidia GTX560 - positively ancient hardware. 

Yes, it's definitley harder to hit someone at 10 fps tickrate than 40.
09-26-2017, 05:48 PM,
I think my GPU should be fine, it's a GTX960 with 4Gb. My CPU is a bit old, but ok I think: Core 2 Quad Q9650.
I can run the latest games (on windows) in ultimate or very high quality and they stay smooth (like Doom 2016, Dishonored 2, Prey).
09-26-2017, 05:56 PM,
(09-26-2017, 05:48 PM)jarhead Wrote: I think my GPU should be fine, it's a GTX960 with 4Gb. My CPU is a bit old, but ok I think: Core 2 Quad Q9650.
I can run the latest games (on windows) in ultimate or very high quality and they stay smooth (like Doom 2016, Dishonored 2, Prey).

In your Nvidia control panel, set it to "performance".  Also, make sure in advanced settings that multithreaded optimization is turned off.  You should definitely get far, far better framerates in AA than in Doom 2016!
09-26-2017, 06:30 PM,
It was on "Auto". Indeed it is better with "Prefer Maximum Performance". Although it still drops to 40, it feels more smooth. I also changed OpenGL settings to High Performance. I don't see the multithreaded optimization, might not be there in the linux version of the Nvidia control panel (Nvidia X Server Settings).
09-26-2017, 06:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2017, 07:09 PM by Devil.)
(09-26-2017, 06:30 PM)jarhead Wrote: It was on "Auto". Indeed it is better with "Prefer Maximum Performance". Although it still drops to 40, it feels more smooth. I also changed OpenGL settings to High Performance. I don't see the multithreaded optimization, might not be there in the linux version of the Nvidia control panel (Nvidia X Server Settings).

I had the same problem,on xfce4, I got the high performance in opengl and Prefer Maximum Performance
,and I disable "displyi compositing" in window manager tweaks xfce4(this last step has greatly increased the performance in my case)
the law is equal for all, in my country is one hope
[Image: Seclan.jpg]

09-26-2017, 11:56 PM,
My system has roughly the equivalent of a GTX 960 (it's a GTX 970M, a mobile GPU roughly the same power as a 960.) I just did a quick runaround in the new ctf-frost, with maximum settings, and the lowest framerate I saw was 142. I added 7 bots and the framerate got into the 90s a couple times. I can do some profiling to see if there are any CPU bottlenecks on that map that would cause your C2Q to bog down (I have Skylake i7.)

I did notice that the motion of the bots was not smooth as they were running and jumping around. I was also able to see the camera shake problems. The easiest way to spot it was to get killed-- the slowly zooming death cam looked pretty bad.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
09-27-2017, 10:19 AM,
I seriously don't see any of what you're describing, at all, either locally or online. It's not my eyes, I have very discerning eyes. I do see the very, very subtle issue with the weapon/player bob, but it's incredibly subtle.

I would greatly appreciate a video if possible.
09-27-2017, 11:19 AM,
Video might not show it, if it's not recorded at a high enough framerate. I'll do my best though.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip