Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Transition
11-10-2017, 07:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 07:38 PM by xenos.)
RE: Server Transition
If the map source is available it should only be a matter of renaming a few entities and compiling the map. I'd really like to see some new third party maps created. Some of those maps are pretty dated, lest they be mistaken for stock content Tongue

11-10-2017, 07:58 PM,
If it is really that easy I will start looking for map sources. Thanks xenos!
[Image: animalt.png]

Chaingun Server Browser
http://hal.nanoid.net/arena/tools/browser
Save a tree or two. Use both sides of toilet paper.
11-10-2017, 08:38 PM,
Demos is right though. Many of these maps are very outdated and give an impression that the game is outdated.
11-10-2017, 09:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 09:20 PM by jarhead.)
I do agree that some of them look really ugly and too old, but not all of them.
I'm also afraid that people might continue playing on Gen2 with the old maps if there is no replacement for them.
For example the following maps are not that old and look very good.

ctf-vesuvius2k11
ctf-bonechewer
ctf-aquila
ctf-europa2k8-remix-beta02
ctf-bloodline
11-10-2017, 11:57 PM,
(11-10-2017, 09:19 PM)jarhead Wrote: I do agree that some of them look really ugly and too old, but not all of them.
I'm also afraid that people might continue playing on Gen2 with the old maps if there is no replacement for them.
For example the following maps are not that old and look very good.

ctf-vesuvius2k11
ctf-bonechewer
ctf-aquila
ctf-europa2k8-remix-beta02
ctf-bloodline

I think each of those would do well to do a major overhaul.  Europa I never understood the popularity of, it's really a horrid design(it was mine, lol).
11-13-2017, 03:17 PM,
Both my servers are now running the Steam version Smile
Was harder then expected, but only because some customer service people don't listen/read...

Anyway, up and running.
If anyone feels like putting in a cooler cfg then what is there now, please do so.
I totally lack the time atm.
I am working 10-11 hours/day and when I come home it is AA stuff (DHW etc) that eats me.
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
11-13-2017, 03:40 PM,
I would also like to see Terminal, Invasion, AHTCity, Atlantis and Oblivion to get a face lift among those already mentioned. I spoke to Freaky and he said that he still has the map sources of most maps he made like Bonechewer, Atrix, Kingston and Bloodline. They are great maps, the CTF versions at least, and that is what we need mostly, CTF maps. The variety of CTF maps is what is withholding the new release adoption. The DM maps in the new release are great and enough for variety.

Is anyone with experience in mapping and most of all has enough time willing to take the task? If you show me a few tricks I will be more than happy to help out where I can. I have no experience in mapping. If I did, we wouldn't be talking about these maps but playing them.

I also found a bunch of map sources here:
https://github.com/vayerx/alienarena-dat...aps/mapsrc

I don't know if they are available anywhere else, but a search showed that up.

Chaingun Server Browser
11-13-2017, 03:56 PM,
I really like Spacejam as well, and I think a lot of others do too (it was in my first list). Spacejam, Terminal and AHTCity really do need some improvements though.
I'm willing to help with recompiling maps, but I don't have any experience in mapping.
11-15-2017, 05:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2017, 05:34 AM by animal.)
(11-13-2017, 03:17 PM)[SiN]bAnfire Wrote: Both my servers are now running the Steam version Smile
Was harder then expected, but only because some customer service people don't listen/read...

Anyway, up and running.
If anyone feels like putting in a cooler cfg then what is there now, please do so.
I totally lack the time atm.
I am working 10-11 hours/day and when I come home it is AA stuff (DHW etc) that eats me.

Those are the LA and Depths servers? If I still have access I am more than happy to do so. Do you have anything in mind?

Also can you say what issues you had and how you resolved them just for refference?

Chaingun Server Browser
11-15-2017, 05:42 AM,
The issue were not game related in anyway.

Yes, you have access. Do something nice with them
Ban? Who Can I Ban???