Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What makes a good map?
09-17-2012, 08:52 PM,
RE: What makes a good map?
There is no limit on mapping. You could probably spend a lifetime doing it and never exhaust what is possible. The important thing is to set a goal that is within reach. If you get carried away, you can drown in it. Words cannot describe how easy it is to get carried away either Angel

I recommend starting with an extremely simple idea. As you work on it, you will find yourself developing and refining your original idea. The better your original idea, the easier it will be to stick to it. If you find yourself getting too elaborate, simplify. Frequently the simpler solutions are better - not because they are cool, but because the work.

I sorta have the sense that there is a delicate threshold where the maps playability and its fun intersect. At some point the intensity of the game take precedence over the intricacy of the map. You want to approach the saturation point, but you definitely don't want to pass it. Better to be close than past Idea Heart
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
09-18-2012, 01:43 AM,
This is very interesting, Rig. I heard a similar idea from Max above: " In a multiplayer game, the challenge comes from your opponents, not the map itself." Sounds like a newbie mapmaker can get caught up in all the cool tools, and forgets that he(she) has to bring his(her) Player side to the table as well.
(09-17-2012, 08:52 PM){DO}Rigel Wrote: There is no limit on mapping. You could probably spend a lifetime doing it and never exhaust what is possible. The important thing is to set a goal that is within reach. If you get carried away, you can drown in it. Words cannot describe how easy it is to get carried away either Angel

I recommend starting with an extremely simple idea. As you work on it, you will find yourself developing and refining your original idea. The better your original idea, the easier it will be to stick to it. If you find yourself getting too elaborate, simplify. Frequently the simpler solutions are better - not because they are cool, but because the work.

I sorta have the sense that there is a delicate threshold where the maps playability and its fun intersect. At some point the intensity of the game take precedence over the intricacy of the map. You want to approach the saturation point, but you definitely don't want to pass it. Better to be close than past Idea Heart
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
09-18-2012, 02:38 AM,
Yep, exactly. The accessory pack has a few examples of what not to do: dm-hypercube, ctf-magma, kontrol, and a few others.
Quote:* maxtothemax is back
<maxtothemax> with a vengeance
<maxtothemax> and chips
<maxtothemax> and bean dip
09-18-2012, 06:19 AM,
Deathsimple is an example of a simple yet very fun map.
10-01-2012, 01:41 AM,
oh - magma - almost forgot it existed -- haven't seen that in rotation for a while and don't miss it at all -- I do miss seeing mgcity though ...where is my mgcity rigel? lol
(09-18-2012, 02:38 AM)Max Wrote: Yep, exactly. The accessory pack has a few examples of what not to do: dm-hypercube, ctf-magma, kontrol, and a few others.
10-01-2012, 04:09 AM,
(09-18-2012, 02:38 AM)Max Wrote: Yep, exactly. The accessory pack has a few examples of what not to do: dm-hypercube, ctf-magma, kontrol, and a few others.
i believe hypercube is one one the most awesome maps around.
there is a constant element of surprise and the feeling of disorientation.
the faster u can move, the better u are in it.

the only 'lesser' point about hypercube, is the darkness.
it could be a tad brighter.
Ban? Who Can I Ban???
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM,
That's interesting Bonnie; the element of player frustration in any map depends on the skill of the player (movement skill, that is). There are advanced maps and easy maps, and an advanced player can get bored in a map that has the elements of a "good map" that Max is talking about.

I also think hypercube is cool -- but more like an 'art car' is cool. Not something to drive to work everyday-
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM,
I try to keep all the maps on the servers, but they aren't all in the standard rotation. If you want to get to an map that is not in the standard rotation, use CallVote (at the console):

CallVote map ctf-mgcity

If the vote passes, the map will be played. Note that CallVote does NOT reset the score or the remaining time, it only changes the map for the current round.
(10-01-2012, 01:41 AM)PanZino Wrote: ...I do miss seeing mgcity though ...where is my mgcity rigel? lol
system specs in profile
10-02-2012, 12:14 AM,
Quote: Note that CallVote does NOT reset the score or the remaining time, it only changes the map for the current round.
Footnote: There is some debate in-game over whether this is a bug or a feature.
10-02-2012, 01:23 AM,
It is a feature. Consider that rcon map ctf-mgcity would do the same thing. What is needed is CallVote startmap ctf-mgcity. I have had this on my list for a long time, but I still can't compile in Windows. I've become too busy with other things, I'll get back to it. If you wanted to take a stab at it... that would be cool.
system specs in profile