Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make bot navigation files.
06-12-2012, 05:01 PM,
How to make bot navigation files.
So you've made your custom map, and you're wondering why the bots seem to act a little silly, like just commiting suicide or running into a corner and hiding, right?

Ok, the simple fact is, you need to make what is known as a bot navigation file, or .nod file for them to know where to go.

This is a fairly easy, but tedious process.

First start the game and load your map. Don't put any bots in just yet.

Bring down the console, and type "sv acedebug on"

Now you are in "debug mode", which will allow you to modify the pathing files.

I would then suggest doing the following:

"bind h findnode"
"bind j addnode 0"
"bind k addnode 4"

Now, the fun can begin.

The idea is, basically to make a connected circuit around the map for the bots to follow. In general, if possibly, you just want one large circuit, that at end, connects to the beginning.

So where you start, hit "j", to add a node of type 0, which is a "move node". Remember the number. Now, look around, and if you see an item you want to go to next, that's in your line of sight, go up to it and hit "h" for "findnode". This will tell you what the node is for that item. If it doesn't have one(health items generally do not), it will show a node of "-1". This is not a valid number, so hit "k" to add a node of type "4", which is an item node. Now, type "addlink (previous node#) (current node)#, using the first node number you dropped, and this current item node. This connects the two nodes.

You'll need to go through the map, doing this, being careful not to reuse a node number, as this will break the chain. If you come to an item and you've already used the node number for it, but would like the bot to stop here to pick it up, then just drop a new node number there and use that one.

You can periodically save your node files by typing "sv savenodes".

That's about it, there are other node types, I'll post them later, but these are really the only two that are needed.
08-25-2012, 09:46 AM,
RE: How to make bot navigation files.
can someone add please which node the ctf nodes are?
[Image: 1mj8I8vrcsu7.png]
08-25-2012, 05:25 PM,
(08-25-2012, 09:46 AM)Freaky Wrote: can someone add please which node the ctf nodes are?
Here is the list of nodes from acebot.h:
Code:
// Node types
#define NODE_MOVE 0
#define NODE_LADDER 1
#define NODE_PLATFORM 2
#define NODE_TELEPORTER 3
#define NODE_ITEM 4
#define NODE_WATER 5
#define NODE_GRAPPLE 6
#define NODE_JUMP 7
#define NODE_REDBASE 8
#define NODE_BLUEBASE 9
#define NODE_DEFEND 10
REDBASE (8) and BLUEBASE (9) are probably the CTF nodes.
Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
08-25-2012, 07:26 PM,
thanks strat Smile
that should helps me...
07-12-2014, 02:17 AM,
Hey, can you delete nodes? thx X
[Image: clantagXulb.png]
Original artwork by [OS]Drastic - Paul
Country of origin flag update by Uncle Caz
07-12-2014, 02:34 AM,
There is a removelink command. It takes two arguments.

The commands are: addnode, removelink, addlink, showpath, shownode, hidenode, findnode, movenode.

Been years since I constructed a bot path so, that's all I know about that, sorry. Sad
(07-12-2014, 02:17 AM)Xulb Wrote: Hey, can you delete nodes? thx X
Cool  Pie fixes everything. So does BACON!
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM,
Paste from Proboards - Post by Irritant on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:18pm Wrote:I've committed this to SVN. I've only put the pathing in for one map so far, that is ctf-zion2k9. I played/observed a number of rounds with bots for testing purposes. It seems to work incredibly well. A couple of times my teammate bots got the flag, and I turned my eye off them for a second and then tried to catch up and it took me quite some time to do so. Those things really haul ass to their bases!

Now, for you mapmakers, it's really pretty simple. First, put your normal pathing around the map with node types of 0 and 4(usually you make a long circuit that is connected at both ends).

Once you have that finished, then you want to create each of the ctf paths. From the red base to the blue base, you'll place a linear string of node type 9. Remember, this is not a circuit, but a linear path that is not connected to anything at either end(and make it the quickest route possible). Then from the blue base to the red base, place a string of nodes of type 8 in the same fashion. That's it!

There is more to the AI improvements than just running these paths. Bots with flags will not engage with other players unless they are attacked or cornered/blocked, and even then, if they can get away they will try. They will not see an item laying about(dropped weapon or other) and take a detour. They have one idea in mind - get to the goal as freaking fast as possible.

It's likely I will be even further expanding on the intelligence of the bots in CTF mode, with regards to attacking, and defending the base, etc. Now that I've got this portion working, it opens up some possibilities in that area.
[Image: dorig.png](Art by {OS}Drastic)
system specs in profile
01-17-2015, 03:20 PM,
I've created a video tutorial about this topic. It covers everything you basically need in order to create a working bot navigation file.